How to sync with digital video

eichler

A friend of mine approached me to help with a project to video her singing along with a Karaoke track. The quality needs to be as good as possible.

Question - I would like to record her audio track using Sonar so I can add effects, etc. After we record her video and audio and after I mix down the audio, how do I re-sync the mixed audio with the digital video? Do I have to record some kind of sync track?

Any and all repsonses would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

It's very easy with digital video if you can port it to the computer (most use Firewire). Once the video is on the PC, you just import the AVI file into SONAR, then run the video and record what you want. At the end you can export the video file and SONAR will replace the original audio portion of the AVI file with what you recorded.

Almost any other method is beyond your scope without special equipment -- a SMPTE-capable MIDI interface, a video deck that can output a SMPTE signal so you can lock the sequencer to it, etc.

I agree, make the video first and import it into Sonar. Then do all the recording... I've made music for 3 movies (2 home-made movies and 1 more "advanced") that way, and it's brilliant... :)

...You know what ?

I wasn't around the BBS for days. The reason is I did 7 episode video soundtracking with SONAR... :p
It's my brother project. He made his debut home made -semi pro- video, and trusting the -mix with audio- work to one of his friend using Adobe Premier. Took 3 whole damn days for him to overdub, add an effect (glass break, door scratching, etc...) using Adobe Premier for 1 episode. So it took almost a month to complete 7...
Then my brother came to me and ask if I could do something to his -near deadline- project. I thought it was a good time to try SONAR's Video dub capability... hmmm... Import the MPEG file to SONAR. Google here and there for additional sounds I need. Import them in SONAR... make some soundfonts midi sequencing for pads and backround ambience. The whole 7 episodes is done in less than 5 days... once again SONAR RULEZ !!!!

Back