how to surgically fix a problem

ikon

ok well a group has let me practice mastering on there album before they send out to a pro mastering house. now this is a rap album. now my problem is one raper on some tracks his voice is so much low end it almost has the pitch of a person humming in a box or tube< only way i know to describe....and the other persons vocals sound so harsh...like major hissing and lots of highend was added when they mixed them........my question is how would i go about fixing these problem on the same tracks without taking away to much from the actual mix itself......

what are tricks or tools best used for this type of situation?

anhelp would be appreciated and ps....i retract my bob katz thread...the carnegie chart is worth its price in itself =]

I don't know a lot about mastering, so i could be totally wrong. But sounds to me like it's something wrong with the mix you got and they are expecting the mastering guy to work miracles, which isn't the case. From what you said though, it just sounds like the vocal tracks where either recorded badly or mixed badly...or both.

Zeke

Maybe they are able to do a better mix if you talk to them about this problem. In case they aren't able to or don't want to do a better mixing job, I'd offer mixing the album as well.

Maybe they are able to do a better mix if you talk to them about this problem. In case they aren't able to or don't want to do a better mixing job, I'd offer mixing the album as well.

i have talked to them....they arn't willing to redo it since there excuse is "they are using ancient equipment" <bullshit excuse, and they have saved none of there sessions......i save a session for everything i change.......when i was liek there are a few things he mentions the vocals before i got to finish

ok well a group has let me practice mastering on there album before they send out to a pro mastering house. now this is a rap album. now my problem is one raper on some tracks his voice is so much low end it almost has the pitch of a person humming in a box or tube< only way i know to describe....and the other persons vocals sound so harsh...like major hissing and lots of highend was added when they mixed them........my question is how would i go about fixing these problem on the same tracks without taking away to much from the actual mix itself......

what are tricks or tools best used for this type of situation?

anhelp would be appreciated and ps....i retract my bob katz thread...the carnegie chart is worth its price in itself =]

sounds like you could deal with some multi-band limiting and/or compression. try em in the offending frequencies!

Mike

This seems more like an eq issue than compression. I think the first thing to do would be to try and dial out the offending frequencies.

In answer to your question "how to surgically fix a problem", one approach would be the following:

Apply a parametric eq plugin to the track and enable one band of the eq. Boost the gain up all the way or almost all the on that one band. Narrow the band to a fairly tight range, like a note or two of an octave scale. Then sweep the band around until you find the problem frequency. Once you have located the problem frequency, then dial the gain back down until you are cutting it as much as you need.

So you boost the gain to locate the problem frequencies, then you cut the gain to reduce the bad frequencies.

Back