how to spend $1500

brsanko

Ok let's say I've got $1500 and I want to get the best pair of vocal mics, and a preamp for them I can for my money. What would you recommend? I would be using them for mostly rock with a little bit of jazz standards thrown in for fun. They would need to be versital for both Male and female voices and might get a shot at over head drums and room mics now and again too. If I'd be better off spending the dough on one really great mic and preamp I'm open for that suggestions too, They will be the cherrys of a large selection of mics I plan to spend between $2000 and $2500 on mics all together.

You will get about as many suggestions as posters for this question.

But here's a thought:

Peavey VMP-2 tube preamp - one of the few thngs that Peavey really did right (of course they bought it from someone else) -
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear...sifieds/160933-peavey-vmp-2-tube-mic-pre.html

That gives you two channels of really pretty good tube preamp and rudimentary but usable EQ for $775. A SS two channel alternative in the same price range would be a DAV BG No.1 preamp. You could also probably find a used Sytek for the same money if you want more (4) channels of a realtively decent pre.

Two used AT-4050s ($350-375 each). Relatively flat multipattern LD condenser. Good for many voices. Usable for room mics, instruments and overheads as well.

This assumes that you want more than one preamp channel. If you can get by with just one preamp channel, there are lots of other options. E.g., a 6 slot lunchbox with an A-Designs P-1, API 512c, Purple Biz or Great River MP-500NV, etc. and one of the aforementioned AT-4050s or a Shure SM7. Would give you room to expand your preamps and outboard later.

How about ribbon mics

How about ribbon mics I've heard they can be fantastic. I definitly want a two channel preamp.

Ribbon mics can be good, but aren't where I would generally start to build a mic collection. You will typically need a pretty decent pre to use ribbon mics.

If you really want to go that way, I'd look for a used AEA RMP (you might find one for around $700 or so used - two channels with lots of gain). I'd then consider a Beyer M500 mic (these are only available used but were intended for vocal performance duties. There are a couple up on e-bay right now for $225 and $275 respectively which is a decent price. The Beyer M160 and M260 are also very good ribbons, but are more oriented towards instruments IMHO.

So I guess what I'm wondering is in my price range would I get better result with ribbons or should I stick with condensers and a tube pre?

definitely check out the used market and snoop around-- i've picked up a langevin dual vocal combo (two channels of pres, shelving eq's and elop limiting) and two oktavamodded mk-219pe's for $1515 total (in separate deals), though those were both steals imho.
i definitely second the 500 series pres recommendation if you want to go down that route, though $1500 might only get you a couple of modules...

Best 2 channel preamp to cover a wide variety of bases extremely well = A Designs Pacifica. The Pacifica can do everything well and is astounding on vocals. Then pick up a Shure SM7. This would run $1900 new for both and you'd never get rid of either of them.

Back