How to smooth out vocal pitch?

elementary

Virtually every singer I ever record wobbles a little and makes odd pitch variations, even the good ones. Obviously retracking until they get it right is the best option, but some singers just cant get it perfect. Is there a plugin (preferably free or cheap) that allows you to draw a pitch in for a particular note? If the vocal track would draw itself out onto a grid (like a midi editor) and then little deviations could be pushed back onto the correct notes, this would be ideal.

Is there such a thing?

Thanks.

Realize that some of those pitch fluctuations are stylistic. It's called vibrato. :D Sometimes good, sometimes...not so good. Best if used in moderation.

I've had some great luck using Melodyne on my guitarist's setup. Quite powerful plugin.

yup melodyne is the best for that...not as instant as autotune... but what do you want...instant results or good results... also the time editing functions in melodyne are fantastic, which I use even more than the pitch stuff..as I'm lucky to work mostly with an amazing fucking vocalist.

they make a new version of it in plugin form (that's the one I have) it's very useful for pretty much anything... you can even control the amount of pitch drift and vibrato... It's exactly what you're wanting.. not free tho lol

I bought Melodyne a few weeks ago - never had to use it in any songs yet but playing around with it...wow. It's just like a MIDI editor, insanely easy to use.

Okay, I'm sorry, but whoever neg rep'd me for my post, WTF?!?!?!?

When I said I used this on my guitarist's setup, I was referring to the fact that we used it while messing around on his recording rig. He has the plugin, I don't. We DIDN'T use it on his guitar tracks, we were using it on vox but it wasn't on my setup, it was on his. Dig it?

Thanks for the -30,000 rep.:mad:

you will crap your-self when you see how good autotune is. you can go to google and put that in, there official website comes up and you can download the 10 day free demo of it to try it out. also watch the how to videos so in the 10 days that you have it you can really get to know its powers. the one video has a video of someone doing exactly what yer wanting to do.

you will crap your-self when you see how good autotune is. you can go to google and put that in, there official website comes up and you can download the 10 day free demo of it to try it out. also watch the how to videos so in the 10 days that you have it you can really get to know its powers. the one video has a video of someone doing exactly what yer wanting to do.

Just be awre that it's a crack pipe, and know when to put it down.

I like to record the singer in one pitch for the entire song, and then AutoTune the whole thing to whatever notes I want them to sing!

I like to record the singer in one pitch for the entire song, and then AutoTune the whole thing to whatever notes I want them to sing!

In that case, what do you need a singer for? Just grab some dumb girl with big hooters who'll look good in the video. ;)

to anyone looking for a good free autotuner, google Gsnap. it's a totally free vst plugin that's easy and completely effective. I love it and don't understand why it isn't more popular.

I second guitarboi89 and SnoboarderX27: Gsnap is a decent little FREE autotuning plug-in. Maybe not as good as Autotune or Melodyne, but it will still do the job. You can tweak the settings on it, so you can have some subtle correction, all the way through to blatantly obvious perfect correction (great for electronic stuff).

I've used it on a couple of paid production projects and had no complaints.

Obviously retracking until they get it right is the best option, but some singers just cant get it perfect.

Is this your profession? If not, throw em out if they complain about lack of vocal quality on the recordings of their own damn voices!

Or play them back any Bob Dylan song. ever. And then say "He made it without Autotune, you can too!"

:D

Last edited:
to anyone looking for a good free autotuner, google Gsnap. it's a totally free vst plugin that's easy and completely effective. I love it and don't understand why it isn't more popular.

i'll second that - i don't claim to be a singer, and never will be. but when throwing demo tracks of songs together, it's useful to get that harmony part in tune, when i know i won't get it right the first or the hundredth time :p

Andrew.

Back