How to ship a tube amp?

bloomboy

I'm thinking of buying a fender hot rod over ebay, but I'm really concerned about it getting damaged along the way. How should I instruct the seller to pack/ship it?

thanks,
theo

No idea on the shipping, but have you checked craigslist? Before you buy on ebay, you should check it out. Maybe you can find one close to where you live, so you can avoid the shipping predicament.

This weekend I just picked up a deville 212 from someone on craigslist for 300 bucks... Just a thought.

tell them to pull the tubes and bubble wrap them, then stuff them in the back of the amp surrounded by lots of crumpled newspaper. For the amp itself, blocks of styrofoam cut to fit the amp to the box very tightly. Then a Drop Me sticker, I mean Fragile sticker.

Outlaws said:
tell them to pull the tubes and bubble wrap them, then stuff them in the back of the amp surrounded by lots of crumpled newspaper. For the amp itself, blocks of styrofoam cut to fit the amp to the box very tightly. Then a Drop Me sticker, I mean Fragile sticker.

Right, and a good place to find styrofoam is Home Depot where it's sold in 4'x8' panels in various thickness from 1/4" to 2" that can be cut to size to completely surround the amp.

A large item like a 2x12 will be dropped, so better to have planned for it when packing.

Second Craigslist.

Ebay is for concert tickets, stompboxes, and Moog Voyagers. :D

Oh...... and adult novelties that look an awful lot like bondage gear. :eek:

c7sus said:
Oh...... and adult novelties that look an awful lot like bondage gear. :eek:

No wonder why I got so many funny looks at the office halloween party.

Amp related: I've received a few combos in my day. Cross your fingers and insure it because honestly it's a huge crapshoot. But tell them to put bubblewrap over the controls (sliders or pots) because those are a real weak spot.

Back