How to set up a good demo package?

DVZON

I'm going to be making 3 good songs and have them mixed and mastered at a professional recording studio by end of december, to send by beginning of January to European dance music labels. I make Trance/Progressive/Eurodance music.

Here is the plan:

I'm planning on sending Photos of myself, my dog, my home studio(I only make the MIDI tracks there) and my family. Only 4 pictures.
I will be writing a perfect BIO with plans for the future, and things I've done in the past. It's gonna be a half page Bio to not bored the producer to death. with an intro and just very nicely done (as though I was sending a job application for microsoft).
I will be getting a cd cover made from Kinkos with the name of the songs on the cover, my name, and a few other stuff on it.
I will be sending the package fed express so it gets there next day.
I will be sending 2 copies of the master CD just in case one doesn't workn when it gets there. (by some godly reason)

Any suggestions? Am I overdoing it? Is it just right?Should I send complete songs or just parts of the songs?

I would send complete songs, best song first, 2nd best 2nd, so on.

Also, I know your shopping overseas and not so much as an artist, but don't you want to include some good press about your music in your perfect bio?

Have been favorably reviewed in the past?

Do you have sales numbers from previous individual distribution efforts? how you gonna make them money?

2 copies of the master sounds like a really good idea. I'm gonna start recommending that too. good luck! ;)

miles

On the lines of demo packages - should you copywrite them + if you should, should you copywrite each song or just the whole demo package, and what if you're using someone elses beats that ur allowed 2 use for demo but u have no rights for, etc. - what if you have a mixture? And what about songs that you've collaberated on?

i'm not sending anything to anyone if the copryright has not been secured.

if you are using someone else's music then you have no rights anyway. you are just showing the record company your ability as an entertainer. having said that, it would be a good idea to state on the demo who the songs producer/arranger is and who owns the song.

Back