how to sequence drums?

alexspetty

ive always relied on my drummer for matters of percussion and drumming.

now i wish to learn how to sequence drums for myself with Sonar 2.2XL. I havent got a very clear idea of how to go about it though.

can anyone driect me to a bank of drum samples and recommend to me a nice convenient way configuring my set up to create really great drum tracks?

any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
alex

My advice would be: Get a midi-keyboard and use Soundfonts (either with a SB card or Livesynth). Great drum-soundfonts are Golddrums (www.hammersound.net) or the Sonic Implants Blue Jay Drums (found on the Sonar 2 CD).

Learn to play the drums by hand. Practice, practice and pratice! It's hard in the beginning but will get easier with time. Great sounding drums are not made over the night.

;)

I make one track contains the whole set, and make basic pattern on it. Use PRV (Piano Roll View) if you don't have any MIDI controller. Input the note there say for about 2-4 measures. After you've done, split the whole setup to several tracks of their own (eg. Snare to Track 7, Kick to 8, Hihat to 9, etc...). Now you can assign every part to different sound file (Track 7 --> GoldDrums, track 8 --> BlueJay, etc..) Somehow it just sounds alot better than mix the whole drums in one track..

;)
Jaymz

Back