How to record using Adobe onboard effects in real time

RecordingMaster

A Sarcastic Statement
Hello there,
I am tracking my alternative groove rock band. I want to know how to record a track with Audition's digital compression in real time as I record. In other words, I want the track to have compression on it as it records into Audition, therefor I won't have to apply it to the track later. This is especially useful for BASS GUITAR.

That way, I'm not going in later and over-amplifying all the quieter parts using compression in the post stages. I'd rather have that good clean, steady compressed sound from the start so each note is nice and audible, and the waveform isn't all over the place dynamically (obviously I'd set the compressor to have a LITTLE room to breath). I'd also occasionally make use of this on vocals, snare, and kick depending on the nature of the song. Also, If I am recording a guitar direct, it would be nice to apply some real time distortion, etc,or at least hear it as it goes in, and not necessarily have to keep it later.

I tried applying real time Audition compression to the bass going line, but could not hear a difference, no matter what settings I tried. The little Green ON button was lit up on the effects rack,and I alternated clicking it on or off, with no audible difference coming through the monitors.

I'm new to Audition CS 5.5, so if you could please help by providing a step by step: eg click here, then here, etc.

Here's my set up:
iMac 27" OS X Snow Leopard, 16G Ram, 1 Terabyte Memory
Tascam US-1800 USB 2.0 Audio Interface
M-Audio BX5a Deluxe Powered Studio Monitors on studio speaker stands with foam iso-pads
Auralex Acoustic foam room treatment

Thanks!

You can't RECORD effects in real time on Audition--you can turn them on for monitoring purposes but tracks are all recorded dry/raw. This was a deliberate decision by the designers since best practice is to record clean and add effects afterwards.

Hmm, yeah it makes sense. Just not really for bass in a majority of applications. I guess we have no choice other than to at least try going in through an outboard compressor or bass compression pedal. And if all else fails, post production. Thanks!

Back