How To Record to Computer While Listening to Playback

2anointed

Quick question:

How do you record audio to the computer at the same time while listening to playback without the playback re-recording itself onto the new recording?

For instance, I sequence my music, then save it as a midi file.

I load Cubase and want to record audio but I'm picking up the midi sequence also.

What are my options?

Record each midi channel as an audio track and then record vocals or

splurg for some time of mixer that will allow me to record and playback at the same time.

I look forward to your suggestions.

SETUP:

Roland XP50
Boss BX-600 Mixer with only a left and right output
AKG C3000 Mike
Cubase 5.0
PowerTracks Audio (great buy at $29 and with a cool drum editor!)

Alesis Monitor Ones and RA-100 AMP

and the computer of course.

Please let me know how to get this stuff working together. Especially the audio.

Thanks!

Okay, let's see if I can do this again.

Thanks for the headphones answer but the question revolves around out do you record to computer without re-recording the sequence.

To go a little further in the setup:

I go from the synth into the mixer,

from the microphone into the preamp, out the preamp into the compressor, out the compressor, into the mixer.

Then I go out of the mixer into the soundcard line in and then I go out of the soundcard into the headphone amplifier.

Now the question is how do I record more than one track of audio without recording or having the synth record itself on every audio track.

Thanks ya'll and please help. I'm trying to do a song before the New Year comes, called "Another Year I'm Here!"

Please help!

Gregory

eeey, that was not a quick question by the way.

Well, I am not sure I understand exactly what your setup is, so, I will try to explain mine which works, meaning I can record while listening to the playback and I can also hear what I am recording with out recording the playback plasjk jdoifoidso sudiuasfu.

And now that my toung is untied, here we go.

I set up in windows under start/programms/accessories/multimedia/volume control

In properties I make sure all are listed for exaple: wave, midi, line in, mic etc. Then I just click the mic on or the line in on depending on what I want to record through. So when I play back it just plays back through the computer speakers or computer earphones and is not being recorded. I also hear whatever I have lined in or miced so I get a good overview of what I am doing. And it does not record the playback.

I have just read what I wrote and it makes little sense to me, its not written very well is it. Sorry about that but I do not know how to explain it better, I am not behind my workstation at the moment. Hope it helps though.

http://www.mp3.com/spunkonnancy
http://www.garageband.com/artist/spunkonnancy

How to Do It!

Well, I went out of the compressor into the soundcard and got a decent sound but not one that I particularly like.

I may go back to analog. Digital is not as "phat" as I hoped. Analog still give that warm sound, which I look for it digital but have to jump through a lot of humps to achieve.

By the way, I went from the out of the soundcard into the headphone amp and I can hear my vocals on playback but not on record mode. (Cubase 5.0). The latency on my soundcard is ferocious (557 ms). There is no direct x driver for the card which is highly unusual. I may go back to 3.7 but 5.0 features looks like it got 3.7 beat. At least I'm getting betting at equalization with 5.0. Love that almost instantaneous change!

Thanks everyone for all of your help and kind input.

Gregory

Been Awhile

Thanks for the information. I will print out the suggestions and try them.

My setup briefly:

behringer 1604a mixer
soundblaster live value
roland xp 50
monitor ones and ra-100 (put some events 20-20 on layaway)

Cubase 5.0
emagic logic 4.1
powertracks for windows
Pro Tools Free (need 7200 hard drive)(midi works fine)

microverb 4
dbx 1 compressor
art tube pre amp
akg c3000 mic
audix om2 mic

Back