how to record drums with mixer to mbox?

brooks81pro

I get the basic idea, record the drums on (X) amount of mics and bounce the stereo track to pro tools.....I have never done this before and was wondering if this is the correct idea, or is there a better way. and do i have to worry about the mbox recognizing the mixer......basically how would i hook the damn thing up.

Well, since the M-box only has 2 inputs, that's about all you can do (unless you want to track one drum at a time --uggghh). I would try to keep your miking technique simple to minimize phase and panning problems that you won't be able to correct later. Start with a pair of overheads and work to get the best overall kit sound with just those two mics. You might find that two mics (properly placed) will give you a good enough sound so you won't need other mics. Even try placing the 2 mics as a stereo pair out in front of the kit. If the 2-mic technique isn't cutting it, add, at most, kick and snare mics. I would personally not mic the toms or hats, as they will just add to your headaches while sub-mixing.

Back