How to record audio from DVDs

Arranger

I'm really not sure what is the best way to go about this. I've got some DVDs and would like to record the audio only while they play on my PC. It would be great to convert the audio directly to .wav files. Then I could edit the output in n-Track readily.

I'd like to know which freeware or low-cost applications work best. I've tried one or two and have found them to be a bit glitchy. One had very low output volume and another conflicted my system sound configuration royally.

Thanks for your time. Any advice is appreciated.

A combination of DVD Shrink and VirtualDubMod would probably work.

The best solution would be to pay $99 for Adobe Premiere Elements and use that along with DVD Shrink.

There's always the hard way --- record audio analog or internally via Windows Mixer.
You'd think there would be a way to rip the audio only from a DVD.

DVD Decrypter lets you extract the audio by chapter or for the whole DVD. You might need to google a guide because it isn't real obvious how to do it.

I've actually had to do this quite often. the best way i found was to just hook up a dvd player and run the audio out the analog outs and record directly into your audio program. it takes less time to process, its easy, you get the part you need instead of searching for it, less hard drive space used, you don't have to convert the sample rate, no glitches...... you catch the drift!

I've tried several other things such as dvd shrink then demuxing the video from the audio. 7 hours later it didnt work right. if your interface or sound card has digital in you could set the dvd player to pcm out if you're worried about audio quality loss.

hope it helped!

-Lee

mystasynasta said:
I've actually had to do this quite often. the best way i found was to just hook up a dvd player and run the audio out the analog outs and record directly into your audio program. it takes less time to process, its easy, you get the part you need instead of searching for it, less hard drive space used, you don't have to convert the sample rate, no glitches...... you catch the drift!

I've tried several other things such as dvd shrink then demuxing the video from the audio. 7 hours later it didnt work right. if your interface or sound card has digital in you could set the dvd player to pcm out if you're worried about audio quality loss.

hope it helped!

-Lee

Your solution will only work with analog audio. I am pretty sure DRM would realize that you were trying to record via SPDIF and give you a nice message in Windows stating what you are doing is illegal according to the DMCA.

brzilian said:
Your solution will only work with analog audio. I am pretty sure DRM would realize that you were trying to record via SPDIF and give you a nice message in Windows stating what you are doing is illegal according to the DMCA.

you are right, i have only done that with homemade/copied dvds.

-Lee

Audacity works fine. It will record in Real-Time any audio that is being played through your PC. So make sure you shut anything down that might bleep or bloop. I used this to get the audio off of my copy of the David Gilmour Live DVD and eventually onto my iPod. Except for a few skips from my crummy laptop, the sound is great!

legionserial said:
Will any basic audio software not work? Like Audacity or something.

I've used a program called DVD Audio Extractor in the past and it worked great. I only tried it on homemade DVD's though, so I'm not sure how it would handle the DRM on commercial DVDs.

What I use is a Combination of "ANYDVD' and "Smartripper"....ANYDVD removes the Copy Protection and Smartripper Ripps the audio in Dolby AC3 format to your HD and from there you can convert the audio to any format you wish.....

The audio on DVD"s actually isn"t Copy Protected but the Video is and the Video needs to be Processed as well as the Audio to extract the audio because the Video and audio are muxed to the same stream.......

I really used to be into Makeing DVD"s at one Time so I know quite a bit about this stuff......

Cheers

Thanks, all. And keep 'em comin'

This is great. I'm really learning some good trick here. I just want to get the output in .wav and it looks like there are a few ways to do this.

I copy my DVDs for personal use and can enable AnyDVD for it. So, I should be able to strip the audio out of them without any problem.

Please bring any additional ideas here.

Thanks again!
:)

Back