How to record a saxophone?

guitarguy101

I have a couple parts to this question:
First: What is the idea mic position? Right inside, a few inches away, a foot away, a yard away?
Second: What mic should I use? I have 2 SM-57s, a Sterling LDC, and a Sterling Pencil Condenser.
Third: What mic would be best period. If I were to go out and buy one, what should I get? Please include a couple budget options and what would best best for each budget.

A 57 will do fine but if you want to tame the sometimes strident quality of a sax, a ribbon would do even better!

However, I've recorded sax with a 57 many times and it does just fine. The thing about sax to remember - and this especially goes for a soprano sax - is that the sound does not only radiate from the sound hole. That is why you'll usually see a microphone aimed at the body, instead of the sound hole so it's a good idea when recording a tenor sax to not have the player stand too close to the mic. Try to strike a balance between the sound coming from the sound hole and the sound radiating from the body.

And don't be bothered by the odd finger noise. It's part of the sax's sound!

Cheers :)

I personally prefer a LDC and yes, the sound of a sax comes from everywhere on the sax .... the body radiates sound plus it comes out of all the tone holes in addition to the bell.
I tend to put the mic about the level of the bell and back a foot or two.

You can go on Youtube and type in 'sax recording' or 'sax micing' and SEE what works, too....

The Shure pdf link above should be on every daw.

A lot is going to depend on your ROOM too.
You are going to have to experiment with each player and setup to get the best results as there are too many variables to just say 'this and only this..'

(tenor and alto player here)

Back