How To Record a Kick Drum: Squidoo Lens I wrote!

Good stuff! Detailed, to the point, and related to personal experience. It's great that you mentioned how people commonly say 'oh we'll fix it in the mix', and how that's wrong. The only thing i would add is, sometimes you can use 2 mics for bass drum with one mic near the beater, (i.e near the drummer's foot, on the beater head) such as the SM57, to pick up attack, and the other one inside the drum, or outside the resonant head, to pick up the bass. Also, what i sometimes do to get some natural reverb is i try to record on a wooden floor, and if that's not possible i'll try to get a flat piece to put in front of the bass drum.

I don't know what a Squidoo Lens is but there are far too many links all over the page for my taste. In fact it looks like a blatant affiliate site with the ebay lures at the bottom. Oh well, I hope it does well for you.

Anyway, I prefer not to put blankets or pillows inside the kick. There are enough pre-muted heads on the market now that you don't have to anymore. (All the major drum-head makers offer these now.) You will get a much richer sound if you allow that wood (shell) to resonate as designed. A well stocked studio might even have two or three to "lend" to poor drummers.

I don't know what a Squidoo Lens is but there are far too many links all over the page for my taste. In fact it looks like a blatant affiliate site with the ebay lures at the bottom. Oh well, I hope it does well for you.

Anyway, I prefer not to put blankets or pillows inside the kick. There are enough pre-muted heads on the market now that you don't have to anymore. (All the major drum-head makers offer these now.) You will get a much richer sound if you allow that wood (shell) to resonate as designed. A well stocked studio might even have two or three to "lend" to poor drummers.

Squidoo is just a site for creating articles, they have a system where they put affiliate links in, then you as the author could select to collect any affiliate revenue that's earned, but Squidoo is really meant to earn money for charity. My charity is the Young Inventor's Association.

I don't usually have the option of trying different drums out, as I'm on location. This particular drummer didn't want a resonant kick sound, thus the muting, etc.

Thanks for checking it out!

Back