How to record 8 mics with ~1200$

daveyhavok

I'm looking for a way to record our band that would sound as professional as possible because we're also considering going to a professional studio instead...

I need to be able to record 8 mics simultaneously, i already have some decent mics and we're considering renting if we need better ones.

Last year, we recorded a few songs with a 4 inputs M-Audio OmniStudio. I was using the 2 mic preamps of the omnistudio, and 6 mics were going into a tascam mm20 mixer then the stereo out was going into the omnistudio other 2 inputs. (I don't know if the mm20 is any good i saw it selling used for 50$...)

Anyway, it sounded good but not professional good.... this time I want to be able to record 8 tracks separately (not mix them down to 4 before recording)

At first i was considering a Motu 828 but now i'm not sure i can plug all the mics directly in the card since it has only 2 preamps...

I saw the Mackie 800r which has 8 inputs with preamps and a digital out, now i guess i could use some basic sound card with digital connectivity to work with that....

I would like to know your suggestions

Thanks

daveyhavok said:
I'm looking for a way to record our band that would sound as professional as possible because we're also considering going to a professional studio instead...

I need to be able to record 8 mics simultaneously, i already have some decent mics and we're considering renting if we need better ones.

Last year, we recorded a few songs with a 4 inputs M-Audio OmniStudio. I was using the 2 mic preamps of the omnistudio, and 6 mics were going into a tascam mm20 mixer then the stereo out was going into the omnistudio other 2 inputs. (I don't know if the mm20 is any good i saw it selling used for 50$...)

Anyway, it sounded good but not professional good.... this time I want to be able to record 8 tracks separately (not mix them down to 4 before recording)

At first i was considering a Motu 828 but now i'm not sure i can plug all the mics directly in the card since it has only 2 preamps...

I saw the Mackie 800r which has 8 inputs with preamps and a digital out, now i guess i could use some basic sound card with digital connectivity to work with that....

I would like to know your suggestions

Thanks

It did not sound professional because you need a professional mixing console. I would suggest an Amek, SSL or Neve. You can get away with a 16 channel mixer for roughly $15,000 (used). This is the minimun $$ that you will get away with. $25,000-35,000 is a better range if you can swing it.

That is my suggestion.

Soundcraft M12 $600.00 into Echo Audiowire12 $700.00. If you can get a good sound with that you need more practice

Or the Presonus Firepod, $600. Eight decent pres, and money left over for mics.

Tell us 'bout your band.

Don't forget to concider the room you are in. If your room sounds crappy its going to leak crappy room sound onto all 8 of those mics. Start researching cost effective ways to treat your room, if you haven't already.

-C

thanks for your replies guys

the firepod seems good, ill try to find more reviews of it but so far they were quite positive.... although i'm a bit skeptical with the low price

i'll consider the soundcraft M12 too... the mixer could be useful and i think soundcraft has got a good reputation....

i didn't find anything on the Echo Audiowire12 on Google though..

as for my band it's called Green Invaders (greeninvaders.com) we got a few mp3s on our website which were recorded with my omnistudio as stated before....

if anybody has other suggestions don't hesitate, i probably won't buy it before a month or two

as for the room treatment, i was already looking for ways to improve it so thanks for the link

just figured out that the name of the card was AudioFire 12....

i think the firepod would probably do the job... but i'm still thinking about the other solution (spirit m12 + sound card).... not sure if i really need a mixer though

can't i just record all 8 tracks and then adjust the volume and eq in cubase.... would that make a difference in quality to make those adjustments on a mixer instead?

daveyhavok said:
can't i just record all 8 tracks and then adjust the volume and eq in cubase....

That's the advantage of using a PC for recording. You record the tracks, and then manipulate them in the computer.

daveyhavok said:
would that make a difference in quality to make those adjustments on a mixer instead?

Making the adjustments in the mixer is not inherently better than doing it in the computer. You want the shortest practical signal chain. Adding in all the electronics of the mixer adds potential for noise and degredation. If you use the pres of a mixer, you can get the signal at the insert and run that into your soundcard. A sound card with pres, like the Presonus, eliminates the need for a mixer.

ok... so i guess the firepod seems the best solution...

i need 8 mics to record the drums.. 1xsm57 for the snare, 3xmd421 for toms+floor, 2xsm94 for OH, 1xkick mic which i'll probably rent, 1 that probably won't be needed

I wouldn't even bother with a console assuming you have a modern sequencer like Cubase, Samplitude or Logic. Neves and SSL are nice for those who can afford them butthere are better ways to spend money at this level. Pick up something like an Emu 1212m, a Behringer ADA8000 (8 mic pres indo Adat), maybe a high-end focusrite vocal pre (with digital out), and then maybe a good Bass DI box like the sansamp. You'll get a myriad of ins and outs. The Behringer is fine for most drum duties, and the Focusrite can handle Vox, Guitar, and bass duties. The EMU has GREAT converters.
Maybe invest in some good VST plugins such as Voxengo's Analog Suite. Maybe get some free convolution reverbs too. Maybe PSP Vintage Warmer plug. (I'm trying to keep costs down in this post). Good luck.

do you have a model in mind for the focusrite preamp.... the only one i found was the Red 8 and its 1800$... the other ones all seem to have compressors eq or other things that i dont think i need (do i?)....

also is it really better to record the bass DI cause last time i recorded my guitar through a POD, it didnt give something that incredible in the end... so i thought i would stay away from DI now

Bass can sound ok through a good DI box. You can alwasy run a clean, unprocessed signal through a DI as well and reamp it later. This works particularly well if you're tracking a band live and don't want to deal with the bass bleed into the drum and guitar mics.

Back