How to play analog along with digital

applejax

How would you be able to play analog tape WHILE still playing the stuff thats on my computer or Roland VS-2480. For example if i recorded some guitars on tape...and then recorded vocals and stuff on my computer or 2480...how could i play BOTH of them back at the SAME TIME through the same monitors?

You can run everything through a mixer then on to your monitors but unless your tape deck offers some form of sample accurate sync, you'll have one hellova time getting the tracks to sync. You would be better off recording the output of the tape deck into the computer/Roland as a new track.

Unless you've got some sort of synch mechanism (SMPTE, MIDI synch) device you are SOL. Getting separate boxes to synch together like that is a challenge only overcome by spending money.

get a pps2 (poor persons synch) a cheap but good little box for converting types of synch. is the analog deck a multitrack? if so stripe smpte on the edge track of the tape first (hit stripe or generate smpte on the pps2 then record on the tape deck (record it all the way through the tape on the edge track,the highest track ,ex.if it's 24 tracks stripe it on track 24 and leave a guard track next to it if ya can) then when playing the tape back run smpte from that into the pps2 and out of the pps2 as midi time code to the puter,ya got synch. if the deck isn't a multitrack,yer sol.

p.s.
i don't know what that roland is but if it's a sequencer you'll have to stripe fsk to tape then run it out of the tape deck into the pps2 and out of that as midiclock to the sequencer. sequencers use midi clock not midi time code.

The alalog is an AKAI 4000DS MK-II. Its a 2 track i dont know but its probably a piece of crap(what do u guys know about it?) and it looks like it has some sort of midi port on the back of it..but it doesnt say...my uncle gave it to me, and i just want to know what to do with it? and if i can sync it with my roland somehow? Thanks alot

That thing that looks like a midi port is a din connector. This is a stereo reel to reel. You could use it as a mix down deck, but if it hasn't been maintained, it won't sound very good. It will also be impossible to find parts for.

It is an old type of connector that was used in home stereos and more recently (the 80's and 90's) on car stereos. It was just all the I/O for the deck in one cable.

Back