How to mute main outs with the Behringer HA4600 headphone amp

dawsonadod1

I recently inherited a Behringer HA4600 headphone amp. I love the sound and all the features, but i cant seem figure out how to keep the sound from the main in's (which are coming out of a Mbox 2 mini's main outs) going to the headphones, while not coming out of my monitors. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dawson.

It's a bummer but the easiest work around is to use the headphone out on the MBox to feed the Behri and use the monitor mute switch on the front of the MBox to kill the speakers. Other options are a switchable line level splitter or a mixer.

I wouldn't turn the headphone output up past halfway and let the Behri do the rest of the gain.

if i'm not mistaken take the mains out of the behringer to your monitor. Turn the monitors on as and when needed (mine are active so they have an on/off buton ) if your arent put a switch in the line from the behringer main outs to the monitors

I've got the headphone out on the mbox plugged up to the direct in on the behri and i have no control with the input level knob and its only in my left ear. Any help?

That's what i was thinking of doing. So do i just go into the direct in on the Behringer?

That would work if the MBox had two outputs. You'd just switch out one signal for the other by patching it in and the mains are muted when the direct input is used.

I just looked at the HA4600 manual.

If you use the headphone out method I described above you'll need an insert cable or "Y" that has a TRS on one end and two mono plugs on the other in order to use the main inputs. To use the direct just patch a TRS > TRS cable between the Behri headphone out and the direct in.

I've got passive speakers. I just turn the amp down. The sub has a kill switch.:D

Feed the HA with the headphone out of your interface with a 'TRS' cable, via the 'Direct In' on the face of the unit. Sounds like you have a TS (instrument cable) feeding the Behri. Forget about running your main outs through the unit. Not a good idea. Noisy little bastard for mixing. Good unit for monitoring while tracking tho.

Oh, and just use a power strip to shut your monitors down while tracking. Or buy a monitor controller. Little switch is much cheaper. I do have a passive monitor level controller I would give you for shipping cost. But you really don't need it. :D

No man, bad move.

So going with a TRS cable is better? I have a good supply of instrument cables but i'm afraid they are all TS. What would be the benefit of using a TRS. I used a regular instrument cable to feed the direct in of the Behri. but i have no conrtol with the input level knob and its only in the left ear. Would a TRS fix it?

http://www.behringer.com/assets/HA4600_P0131_M_EN.pdf

The input level knob only controls the main inputs on the back of the unit.

Use the headphone output level off the MBox to control the volume to the Behri, and use the individual headphone channel level controls to raise the volume in the headphones.

Are you saying with a TRS into the direct in you are still only getting one channel through the headphones?

Make sure both outputs are on in your DAW and MBox apps. Make sure one of the mute buttons on the Behri isn't engaged.

Its deceiving that they put the input lvl knob right next to the direct in. Anyway yes i am only getting one channel in each of the headphone inputs. This is why i thought getting a Y cable would solve the problem. But from what jimmy69 has told me, i think i might just turn my monitors on and off when i don't need them to avoid any hissing.

Forget about running your main outs through the unit. Not a good idea.

I was saying maybe if i feed the Behri's two main ins with a Y cable coming out of the mbox headphone input. So i would run my monitors out of the mbox main outs. Would this work?

I was saying maybe if i feed the Behri's two main ins with a Y cable coming out of the mbox headphone input. So i would run my monitors out of the mbox main outs. Would this work?

Worth a shot, though the problem seems to be with the headphone output of your interface. Or a bad cable or adapter. Or some routing deal. The 'Y' cable is not going to help if the headphone 'output' from the interface is not giving signal on both sides.

Back