How to move only part of one track in Reaper

danielheeger

So, I'm working on a song. The drum tracks are almost perfect. However, there is only one part (fortunately they are just single hits) where he hit a big "boom boom, boom boom" slightly off beat. I tried moving it by dragging, but it only moves the entire track. Is there any way to move just one little piece of the track without effecting the rest of it? Sorry if this is some stupid question with an obvious answer.

Thanks for reading.

Yes, split the track just before and after the part you want to move. Then drag the part you want to move.

If that's a real miked kit that you're moving a single drum on check what else is happening on the other tracks... you might have bleed into other mics.

Whenever I split in Reaper it does an automatic fade on both parts... you may or may not want this, but it's easy to remove if you don't. It's also probably a setting I have enabled somewhere so may not happen to you... you'll know.

If you have something that is slightly off beat in a small section, another approach is firstly to do as the others have said, i.e. split before and after the offending event, and at points where everything is on time.

Then you can split the offending section roughly in half. With both of these halves selected, hold down the Alt key and drag the split forwards or backwards, until the beats line up properly. Using Alt does a time stretch (or contraction).

If you have multiple drum tracks, you would need to do this to all tracks at the one time. The process is the same.

Huh? Do people really do that? I don't even know how many posts I have. :eek:

Some people do, especially if they're below the "you're not allowed to post links yet" threshhold.
And, over 11,000.

Whenever I split in Reaper it does an automatic fade on both parts... you may or may not want this, but it's easy to remove if you don't. It's also probably a setting I have enabled somewhere so may not happen to you... you'll know.

There should be an icon in the upper left (near the toggle for gridlines, autosnap, etc) to disable "auto-crossfade".

Back