how to mic a flute on stage

happy_days

I am trying to mic up a flute and also pan-pipes and Quena (South American flute) on stage. I am using an SM58 - The problem is that the optimum angle for the mic is not the same for all three instruments. My question is this: What is the best mic to use for such a purpose. The tried and trusted SM58 work-horse would be a lot of people's first choice. I am thinking however, that a small "clip-on" mic might produce a better sound for the flute. The SM58 is picking up a lot of "air" in the blowing. If so, can anyone recommend a good make? Perhaps an AKG mic with small pick-up range and spit guard might be an alternative. The problem here might be the audience noise since AKG's tend to be mostly used non-directional. Any advice appreciated.

We mic our flute player at church with a AKG C535EB. It's a handheld stage condensor mic, but it sounds excellent, even from a distance. It really is killer.

I've worked with a couple of south american bands, the best thing I've found is a SDC pointed downwards over where the instruments are going to be played.
Clip-on flute mics are good too, however if you're trying to do the pan pies etc then you're better off with just the one mic (cost reasons), which would probably be a SDC. I use the SM81 or the MK012.

I've also seen people use SM57s to some good results, but it requires teh musician to konw how to play to the mic

Having done many shows for an Andean Flute band, I prefer sm81's at about 18" above the flutes at a 45 degree angle pointing towards them.

While I sould agree with the SDC proposed by many I also had an outside-the-box idea. Maybe use a clip-on lavaliere on the musician themselves. A mounting on a hair clip just above their ear might be an excellent position and solve the problem of changing from one instrument to another. It could particularly work if the musician has a tendency to move while playing (as some flute players do)

Innovations said:
While I sould agree with the SDC proposed by many I also had an outside-the-box idea. Maybe use a clip-on lavaliere on the musician themselves. A mounting on a hair clip just above their ear might be an excellent position and solve the problem of changing from one instrument to another. It could particularly work if the musician has a tendency to move while playing (as some flute players do)

I've used that shortcut on accordion for live work...it's a great idea that works better than most would think. Then I took the next step and installed the lav in my accordion. :cool:

Personally, I like a lot of air with wind instruments (just the same as I like fret noises on guitars, bellows noises on accordians and squeaky footpedals on drums). I think that noises that are a function of playing are important in providing texture and adding to the sonic landscape.

However, if it is overpowering, then I would look at mike placement. With flutes, for example, I would come down over the top, so that any breathing, and breathing deflection from the mouthpiece, is not going straight into the centre of the mike.

I think, with good placement, your sm58 will be fine. In fact, given your concerns about wind noise, it may be better for your purposes than something (e.g. a condensor) with a more sensitive upper reach.

Back