How to make an Audiophile 2496 play (using SPDIF) on a Stereo Reciever

charon17

Ok, I'm really tired and I'm just not operating at max capacity today to be capable of understanding enough about digital signals to get my audiophile to output into a stereo reciever...

What I need is some pretty basic instructions here on how to get it all working in concert...

My setup is as follows...

I have a Stereo Reciever (JVC RX-6010V) capable of playing Dolby 5.1 Surround.. (I take it this means it's a AC3 decoder (I wish I knew what AC3 meant :confused: ))

The audiophile has a SPDIF out (although it is difficult to discern between the SPDIF in and out because they look identical)
which to the best of my knowledge (and according to the manual of the audiophile) can transmit a Dolby Digital 5.1 (AC3) signal

(The manual reads - pg. 4 "This output (coaxial s/pdif output) is also used as a Dolby Digital 5.1 (AC3) output for DVD or Home Theatre use")

So unless this is false information I take it what I desire to do is fully possible.

The analog outputs of the audiophile work beautifully, but I want to take advantage of more than 2 speakers.. My reciever will only power more than the front speakers if the signal is digital..

I hope some one can please please help me!!!

Tired and Forlorn
Charon

I couldn't understand what is the problem here. Couldn't you connect Audiophile SPDIF out with reciver SPDIF in?

cheers

making use of surround sound

Well I finally got the connection to work, but still I can only get my left and right speakers operating. I have 4 speakers (two JBL and two Pioneer) I would like to be able to use them all while playing back audio. My receiver will only allow these to function, as I understand it currently, when it receives a source a 5.1 digital source.. It currently reads the audiophile signal as "linear PCM".

I honestly don't care if it plays true 5.1 surround, I just want to take full advantage of all my speakers even if they are just doubled up.

So, if someone could explain how I can get my receiver to drive more than just a left and right channel, I would greatly appreciate it!

Charon

If no one can help...

could someone at least guide me to a place on the internet that might be able to solve my home audio system problems.. perhaps a stereo receiver bbs..

thanks..

Charon

Patience grasshopper.

The SPDIF signal you are sending is not a AC3 surround signal unless you happen to own a very expensive AC3 Encoder. You are just sending a regular stereo signal but your are doing it through a digital cable.

If you play a DVD on your comp with 5.1 surround then your receiver will decode the signal and give your surround sound.

There is usually a fake surround setting on most receivers and that should activate the rear speakers.

Fake Surround!

This sounds like the answer I was looking for, where should I start looking for it on my reciever? Will it plainly say "fake surround" or come in cognito?

I have a JVC receiver - do you know if it might be equipped with fake surround?

Thank you for your help though, that confirms what I thought... but you've provided my tunnel with some light as well!

Charon

Back