How to make a "1920's sounding" vocal

Toasta Whales

Hey there's this song I'm recording featuring a section that's almost a pre blues parody. I think it would be fitting and sound more believable if the vocal sounded similar to a 1910s-1920s vocal recording. What type of effects (eq, etc) would I add to the vocal to make it sound like that?

Its all in the vocal style, I saw a band two months ago that was a 1920's/1930's style band, used good stage gear but they had the sound.

Have a listen to Honey Pie off the White Album...you could shoot for whatever you hear on that vocal...it's a bit old style.

Use low and high pass filters to remove the extreme ends of the frequency range and keep the mids. Where to roll off on each side depends on just how much of an effect you want, but you might start with rolling the high end off at about 5khz and the low end at about 150Hz. Then increase or decrease either one to fine tune to taste.

G.

What do I do if I want to make a recording that sounds like Guy Lombardp playing on New Year's Eve 1939? Do I have to switch over from 1930s to 1940s at midnight?

;)

G.

Ya but what does the OP do, it only goes back to 1930? :D

Yea I noticed that. I actually wanted to say what SouthSIDE Glen posted but I couldn't make my mind work.
Short of using the plugin, that is the way to do it, EQ it.
My mind started reeling about the equipment they had in 1920 and quickly realized I didn't know enough to say anything helpful.
I finally thought to say just make it sound like it comes out of a telephone but didn't consider the vinyl angle and not sure that is what the OP was shooting for.

in addition to the plugin options that have been mentioned, recording with a ribbon mic into a tube preamp should help a bit as well

of course the stuff out now won't be the same as what was used then...but at least it's the same general type, and should help out in getting that "vibe"

I am going to recommend a solution that is free and doesn't require any downloading! Just hold your hand in front of your mouth as you sing into the mic. This will knock off a lot of the hi end. Maybe combine this with some preamp distortion and you'll be in the ball park.

You could also try cutting the bottom out of on of those huge paper cups they sell at a gas station for a cheap little megaphone. Also, when you are singing remember that these old singers were belting it out pretty loud since everyone was using the same mic.

The thing that Isotope does, that clever EQing doesn't, is inserting pop & crackle according to the speed & type of platter. It's not fool proof but better than a lot of attempts I've heard.
In terms of era it's a bit reverse Spinal Tap amp really isn't it. Perhaps doing two passes in two different era will cause the Eloi to fight the system and the Murloch to begin grazing instead.

Back