How to limit toms?

frosty55

I was wondering if its possible to set the controls of a compressor to act as a limiter while tracking drums?
I have only the one stereo compressor to use on three toms of the drumkit. Is it possible to patch it into the aux inputs of the mixer, rather than use the insert points?
How would I alter the controls of the compressor to act as a limiter anyway?
Thanks.

I was wondering if its possible to set the controls of a compressor to act as a limiter while tracking drums?
I have only the one stereo compressor to use on three toms of the drumkit. Is it possible to patch it into the aux inputs of the mixer, rather than use the insert points?
How would I alter the controls of the compressor to act as a limiter anyway?
Thanks.

First off if your using a computer i'd suggest compressing AFTER you record but horses for corses, first of all send you toms to an fx send on your desk, send to comp take return, and as for using it for limiting just max out the ratio knob

If you send 3 toms to one compressor, you will only end up with one track that has 3 toms on it.

In order to do what you want to do (limit the toms during tracking), you will need a separate channel of compressor for every tom you have.

As was said in a previous post, there really is no point in compressing or limiting drums during tracking. It can only do harm to the recording process, especially if you don't have enough hardware to get the job done.

If you are trying to keep from clipping every time the drummer gets too happy, just turn the inputs down. Your highest peak never needs to be above -6dbfs in the computer. If that means that you can't hear the toms in the mix, then you are recording everything else way too loud and the answer is to record everything else at a proper lower volume, not figure out ways of recording drums louder.

If you send 3 toms to one compressor, you will only end up with one track that has 3 toms on it.

In order to do what you want to do (limit the toms during tracking), you will need a separate channel of compressor for every tom you have.

As was said in a previous post, there really is no point in compressing or limiting drums during tracking. It can only do harm to the recording process, especially if you don't have enough hardware to get the job done.

If you are trying to keep from clipping every time the drummer gets too happy, just turn the inputs down. Your highest peak never needs to be above -6dbfs in the computer. If that means that you can't hear the toms in the mix, then you are recording everything else way too loud and the answer is to record everything else at a proper lower volume, not figure out ways of recording drums louder.
I aint using a computer, but a reel to reel 8 track and a mixer.

I cant see how I can limit the toms after its all on tape. I intend to record the drums on two adjacent tracks, with everything panned to suit.

First off if your using a computer i'd suggest compressing AFTER you record but horses for corses, first of all send you toms to an fx send on your desk, send to comp take return, and as for using it for limiting just max out the ratio knob
Just the ratio knob? So it doesnt matter what the threshold, attack, release, etc..are set to?

Just the ratio knob? So it doesnt matter what the threshold, attack, release, etc..are set to?

It almost sounds like you want us to give you specific settings. There is certainly no standard preset for compressing/limiting drums. For toms, just make sure you have a fast attack time.

I was wondering if its possible to set the controls of a compressor to act as a limiter while tracking drums?.
I have to answer your question with another question.

Why?

But, to answer your question, a limiter is simply a compressor set with a very high ratio.

I have to answer your question with another question.

Why?

But, to answer your question, a limiter is simply a compressor set with a very high ratio.
I would just like to make sure our drummers hits on the toms are all pretty consistent, with no peaks that jump out of the speakers when the tape is played back.

I would just like to make sure our drummers hits on the toms are all pretty consistent, with no peaks that jump out of the speakers when the tape is played back.

Start with a better drum take perhaps? Make sure he knows you want a consistent level, he might be of the notion that decimating the drums will sound good in the studio because he's used to playing live.

Back