How To Learn Chords of Favorite Songs??

Raydio

I wrote a similar thread like this along time ago but I want to know how to learn the chords of my favorite songs on the radio?

I've heard some people say "Listen to the bassline" but I never understood that. I can hum the chords but just have no idea as to where they are on my keyboard. I also know how to play the melody to most of them.

There are TONS of chord types so its hard to just sit down and try every single one with no direction. What are some of your techniques to speed up the process? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Raydio said:
I've heard some people say "Listen to the bassline" but I never understood that.

Typically, but not always, the bass will play the root of the chord. (Especially on the donwbeat.) By listening or duplicating the bass you can usually find the root of the chord being played. After a while it becomes automatic and you just 'hear' the chord being played. It may be a bit easier for guitar players who usually play a chord formation with the root as the lowest note to hear and relate to the bassline. Try playing your keyboard chords with the root in the bass until you learn the song. Then use whatever formation you wish. Hope this helps. ;)

up-fiddler said:
Typically, but not always, the bass will play the root of the chord. (Especially on the donwbeat.) By listening or duplicating the bass you can usually find the root of the chord being played. After a while it becomes automatic and you just 'hear' the chord being played. It may be a bit easier for guitar players who usually play a chord formation with the root as the lowest note to hear and relate to the bassline. Try playing your keyboard chords with the root in the bass until you learn the song. Then use whatever formation you wish. Hope this helps. ;)

I didnt understand this entirely. So if the chord being played is a CMaj7, more than likely the bass note will be playing a C note? When you say "Try playing your keyboard chords with the root in the bass", do you mean not only play C-E-G-B but play those notes PLUS play a "C" note an octave lower (bass)simulataneously?

Yes.

And, as time goes on, you'll pick up the rules (conventions) that govern that particular style of music to the point that you'll not only immediately recognize the chord progression, you'll anticipate it.

That's when you lose the will to live.

When you've been doing this for years, you'll be able to determine chord progressions by ear. I don't need a keyboard to figure out 99% of pop, I can tell the chord progression by listening only. It's just applied practice.

Here's something I noticed. I learned how to play the "one note" version of most of the chords and sometimes the "two note" versions (power chord). These notes sound very close to the chord but seem to be missing a note or two. From my research most of the time this includes the fifth note of the scale. Is there some kind of formula that I can follow once I find the one note version or power chord?

Practice makes perfect as mentioned above....over time you'll find it easier ans easier to find the right chords.

Sometimes I will go to the local music store and read through the song books to get the exact chord I can't figure out - cause usually it's only one or two that I need.

Being a guitar player with minimal skills I can usually find the basic major, minor, seventh etc by listening and trying those main chords until I get one that sounds right.

Anything too complex like jazz is way above my head..... ;) :confused: :p :) :D

Back