how to install apps w/ external drive?

teddyastuffed

hey everyone! i just recently got an external firewire drive and am wondering what is the best way to use this effectively. i currently use an ibook g4 w/ cubase sx3 and reason 3.0. almost everything i do is for hip/hop productions, but theres an occasional live song ill end up doing.

so how should i effectively use this external hd? would it be best to install cubase sx3 and reason 3.0 on the external and have that along w/ any audio samples/vsts on the external. or should i install cubase and reason on my internal drive and just use the external for audio samples. OR should i use the firewire drive as a boot drive and just boot off of that and do everything for recordings/productions on the external drive.

and another question, is if i install the programs (such as reason and cubase) on my internal drive (which is only a measily 4200rpms), should i then install even the sound package that comes w/ reason on the external drive?

thanks for any help everyone

I don"t know if this is true for Macs but it is For PC"s...

With PC"s you can not Install software on an external drive and take that Drive to another PC and use the Programs like you did on your Own PC..

WHY?? Because when you install a Software Program it allmost allways also installs files on the Main Drive that the OS is installed on and it also makes Registry changes which are on the Main Drive, so when you connect the Drive to a different PC you can not use the Programs because there are Files missing that should be on the Main Drive.....

Most Poeple that I know use External Drives in Audio for storeing Project Files and Songs and other Media But rarely Installed Programs because of the Problems I just mentioned......

Cheers

i dont know about that either, but its not like im going to be using various computers for the external drive and its programs

i just want to know if that'll perform better ;o

im mainly interested in the fact that Reason and various samplers have huge audio collections, im assuming that part would be best to install on the external drive. but what about the vstis themselves? do vstis even use the hd or is it mainly cpu/memory usage?

Minion is absolutely right. Once you install a certain software, lots of system configuration files like .dll files, get copied to the windows directory. But when you install a software in a specific location on a drive, only the program files are copied not system files.

Back