How to hookup optical output to Delta 44 soundcard?

Raydio

If the only outputs your mic pre has are ADAT, Optical (example: Focusrite), and you want to output your signal to a Delta 44 soundcard (which only uses 1/4 jacks); what type of device do you need? I am trying to prevent buying another soundcard but if thats my only option please recommend me to some decent quality, inexpensive options. Thanks

LemonTree said:
delta 66

doesn't the pre have analog out? .....keep it warm

Its a Focusrite Octopre, I dont think it does. The guy at Guitar Center failed to mention that I needed another soundcard which was pretty messed up.

I looked at the specs on the 44 and I don'y see any digital in/out of any kind. You'd need something with an ADAT optical input, not TOSLINK which uses the same connector/cable.
The Octopre does have analog outputs so you can use four pres at a time at least.

Track Rat said:
I looked at the specs on the 44 and I don'y see any digital in/out of any kind. You'd need something with an ADAT optical input, not TOSLINK which uses the same connector/cable.
The Octopre does have analog outputs so you can use four pres at a time at least.

I kind of understand what you mean but Im kind of lost. So there is no kind of cheap interface I can purchase to still be able to use my Delta 44? What are some nice priced soundcards that can use ADAT optical input?

Raydio said:
I kind of understand what you mean but Im kind of lost. So there is no kind of cheap interface I can purchase to still be able to use my Delta 44? What are some nice priced soundcards that can use ADAT optical input?

You need a cable that connects from the "Line Outputs" connection on the back to 1/4" TRS for your Delta 44, I think. The Focusrite website states that there is a cable that terminates in XLR, for which you could buy adapters, also.

First, there is no way to connect ADAT to a Delta44.

You would need the optional digital board with s/pdif to connect to an s/pdif equiped card like the Delta66, not the ADAT only board that it sounds like you got.

The preamps analog outputs are, I think, on a 25pin D type connector, for which you need a special cable to adapt to the TRS sockets of the Delta44 breakout box. That's the only way you're going to do it. At least that's how it looks from the Octopre specs.

You could change to an ADAT soundcard if you're stuck wanting the 8 outs (max 48Khz). E-mu 1212M for example.

Back