How to have inputs to mixer get recorded also

Yasoo

I want to be able to have anything plugged into a powered mixer to have it's own channel in a recorder. So what's the technique used? There aren't outputs for each channel on the mixer and I don't want to record the mix since I'll want to try and mix it later. The powered mixer will be used for the live sound. So do I need a direct box for each one of those? Can't just split the signal, right?

Yes, there are inserts. I thought an insert was a stereo plug that sent and returned a signal. That doesn't sound like it would work right.

That's right. However the way inserts are typically wired, when you insert the cable halfway, the tip of the cable connects to the return. The return is internally wired to the send unless the cable is inserted all the way, so you effectively get a direct out without interrupting the internal signal path in the mixer.

If you're in an environment where halfway-inserted cables might get bumped, you can also wire a special cable that works when fully inserted (you wire the tip and ring to a single wire at the mixer end, and use a TS plug on the other).

Ah, I see. I was just reading about that in the manual for one of the Mackie mixers. Thank a bunch, mshilarious.

One thing I noticed, there aren't as many inserts as channels. So what is the technique when you don't have an insert?

Inserts are for things like outboard processors, so that's probably going to get you as far as a car with square wheels.

You'd need to check if your mixer has individual channel outputs. It may be something like a quarter inch jack or an XLR out. If it does, and assuming you have a multitrack with multiple input capability, then you can get individual tracks recorded.

:rolleyes: hmmm, as others have mentioned in this thread, if you're in a bind you CAN use inserts as direct outs (and they're usually pre-fader/eq as well!) Just tap the send using the half-click method and you're set. I've done this with my Mackie 1202 into my Delta 44 with no problems.

I guess I'm happy driving my square-wheeled car!

-Evan "never went to school for recording but know that inserts can be used for direct outs if you don't have direct outs"

LRosario said:
Inserts are for things like outboard processors, so that's probably going to get you as far as a car with square wheels.

LRosario said:

Works on my mixer. I have a Behringer mixer that has inserts on the back for the first 8 channels which are also the chennels with the mic pre's. I got a set of insert cables that have a "stereo" type 1/4" plug on the mixer end and then 2 "mono" plugs at the other end. Send and return I guess they would be. They are like big Y cables. I have those hooked up to my patchbay and the "send" end patched into the 8 inputs of my soundcard. It seems to work fine. The cool thing is that I can adjust the faders and EQ controls on the mixer for monitoring in my headphones while playing my drums and it doesnt effect the signal to the computer.

MX2004A.
MX2004A_rear_big.jpg

Thanks Evan, you make your point as elegantly as ever. :D

And it's true, I don't want you guys to misunderstand me.

I'm only saying that there are better ways to get a better recording, just trying to open yazoo up to other ideas. ;)

Back