How to handle / fix acoustics in this room (pictures included)?

KingDiamond

I am using a spare room as my home "studio". Below is a picture of it (mind the mess). Anyway, what would be some general starting points to handle acoustic problems in this room? I know I have a slight bass problem (too much bass). But the room is kind of tight so I don't know of any bass trap that could fit in here. I use two sets of speakers, one set is my KRK RP6 monitors (one is in for repair), the others are some EV Sonic XS computer speakers. With the EV speakers there is a big subwoofer on the floor and even at the lowest setting it makes too much bass. The RP6 monitors sound fairly flat in the room except for the low end which is a bit too loud.

The ceilings are wierd in the room because this is on the second floor and the ceilings are slanted. The ceilings are slanted both in front of the desk and about 6 feet behind the desk.

Also if you guys could point me to a seller that has foam that is comparable to Auralex but cheaper in cost then that would be helpful.

Thanks!

room.jpg

Maybe you could make a bass trap instead of the chair, like box in the size of a chair, full of rockwool. Just make it comfortable so you can sit on it :)

Do you really need a sub? If it is a not_too_good_one it can resonate mainly on one frequency, which by accident may be the peak of your room making it even worse.

probably it is better to ask in the appropriate section, Studio building and display..

first things first, i would kick the computer speakers and their sub to the curb

2nd, i would probably put a bass trap across the top, where the slanted walls meet each other, assuming the ceiling would still be tall enough to walk around. i would also put a bass trap on the wall behind your chair, and scoot the desk to the middle of the wall so that your monitors are equidistant from the corners. if you're going to have some bass build-up from monitor positioning, you'll want it to at least be even between them.

last, i would get a handful of auralex wedges and slap them on the wall behind the monitors to cut down on reflections coming back at your face

assuming the room is as small as it looks in the pic, i'd probably call it a day with that.

I would put the mixing desk along the wall with the window and place ridgid fiberglass panels all along both ceiling walls and up in the peak.

kill the sub, unless carefully instituted they will almost always create problems.

Well the sub isn't part of my main monitoring system, I use the KRK RP6's for that. I actually have the EV speakers there temporarily while my RP6 is being fixed. But I could use the EV speakers as a second set of monitors just to better compare my mixes. I can turn the sub on and off though.

I put a 24x48x4 bass trap hanging from the ceiling at the peak and when I was standing up there I had music playing and there was a ton of bass in that spot. Once I hung up the bass trap and sat down at the desk the difference was amazing. Everything seems to sound much clearer, I hope it's not a placebo effect :confused:

Also I put another panel on the rear wall. I bought the panels from atsacoustics.com

The room sounds much more deadened now and when I play some studio albums I can actually hear the reverb effects much better. I think the room was adding reverb so it was hard to hear the actual reverb on the tracks.

Back