How to get this tone?

Purpleb

What effects, eq, settings, etc. to use that can get me close to this tone?
On bass or guitar.

Main riff throughout whole song, starts about 20 seconds.

Thanks a lot.

Mmmmm....single coil or bridge pup....failry clean at the amp...some slap-back style echo, some reverb...adjust tone to taste...
...and then play the riff the right way.

It's kind of annoying going thorought the whole song...it would have beem more effective to completely drop it out at some sections, then bring it in again....just my $0.02. :)

Is the vocalist in some sort of pain.....?

I partially disagree with miro. My ears are hearing it as probably a vintage style humbucker in a semi-hollow guitar like a Gretsch or Gibson ES model. Definitely a clean amp with some delay and reverb. I think it would have a crisper attack if it were a single coil. Could be a P-90 maybe, but not a Tele or Strat single coil.

You could be right about humbucker & semi-hollow ....though when I said "bridge pup" I was thinking humbucker. :)
It's too easy to dial in all kinds of tones with the amps, and "disguise" the pick-up source to a degree. There's some chunky sounding single-coil pups out there that have fooled me in the past.

Lol. Yeah, I would definitely guess bridge position. It does have that kind of attack to it, but not a bridge single coil. Low-to-moderate output bridge humbucker would be my guess.

sounds like it's possibly a bass played way up the neck, as much as anything tone coming from big fat bass string(s)

Back