How to get that off the Speaker sound ???

mustream

Hi all. I'm from Trinidad in the Caribbean.. 23yrs old. I'm an up and coming musician/engineer/Producer. Here's a list of My setup

1. P4 - 1GigRam - 2.0Ghz - 80GIG HardDisk 7200rpm
1. Aardvark Q10
2. Mackie SR-24
3. Apex 204 Aural Exciter
4. Aphex 107 Pre amp
5. Jv-90 (as a controller only)
6. Rode NT2000
7. DBX 166 Compressor
8. Edirol Um-880
9 . Software Synths - Izotope Ozone - Cubase SX

Now based on my subject title (which may sound a little strange) Here's what I'm trying to accomplish in my Mix....

Now i notice that in commerical recordings, everything sounds big and nice. Now my recordings sounds big and nice too but... the commerical stuff sounds as though, it's not banging on the speakers. In other words (to me) it's sounds as though it's kinda ...off the speaker... almost like if it's on a surround channel or something... :confused: .

(nb: I tried using Ultrafunk surround but that didn't really work).

Another way of putting it is, In the headphones, it sounds as though the Stereo Spectrum is so wide that there's almost an unlimited amout of space and freedom that the voice and Instruments has to breathe in.... My recording sounds a bit clustered... not Overly clustered, but just when compared to the commercial stuff, you hear a big difference.

(Now I also pan my instruments around and stuff but It still sounds as though my Stereo Spectrum isn't wide enough or something......)

Even though my stuff sounds pretty good, i'm still trying to
achieve better....

Now In the Harmnoic Exciter section on Ozone, if i turn the delay bar from 0 to 10.0 in the first band, I notice that it kinda does something similar to what i'm hearing in the commerical stuff but it still does quite get it.. ....

Now I know that this may sound a bit confusing but please try to bear with me... There's alot i need to learn and there aren't many avenues in Trindad to learn about this kinda stuff..

So any advice or help or suggestions would be greatly apprecited.....
Thanks......
:D

Back