How to get outdoor sound on vocals

revnice1

The song was done in a studio environment but I want the vocalist to have that big spacious sound common in live recordings.

Anyone got any ideas on how to achieve that?

Thanks - rev

To me, "spacious" implies a space, i.e., something with walls, so reverb is the tool most commonly used. The newer versions that use IRs to emulate real spaces can create a sense of being in anything from a small room to a concert hall.

Now, if you mean *outside* space, I'd think you mean some kind of ambience mixed in, and you can record your own outdoor spaces or acquired them from folks that record and publish or sell them, and mix it in.

>Now, if you mean *outside* space
Yes, the kind you instantly recognize as outside, also common on bird call recordings.

> some kind of ambience mixed in,
That's given me an idea. I've got crowd noise, I'll drop that in a big IR and play with the levels, I might be able to fake it. It's a novelty or comedy song so it doesn't matter if the attempt is obvious.

Thanks!

Even outdoor venues typically have some kind of reverb due to the high bleachers bouncing back the sound. Sometimes a multi-delay with taps in the range of 100ms to 400ms can give that impression.

Even outdoor venues typically have some kind of reverb due to the high bleachers bouncing back the sound. Sometimes a multi-delay with taps in the range of 100ms to 400ms can give that impression.
The Space Designer (reverb) plugin in Logic Pro X does have outdoor spaces - they're very echo-y with those long delays and repetitions/feedback. Wasn't sure what the "spacious" space was, exactly!
space-designer-outside.jpg

Back