How to get a professional sounding sound?

wow. didn't expect everyone here to be so... cranky...

anyways, maybe i should have said so in the original post, but i've been fooling around recording bands and stuff at home for 3 years now. I'm never really happy with the final sound that I get, so I was hoping for some suggestions. As for a "pro" sound... I just needed some kind of subject for the thread... I obviously realize that i'll never get a pro sounding demo on my budget and gear. I know there is a tonne of shit that I don't know and I was hoping for some suggestions...

I read through this whole post just now with interest... We've just got done recording a "demo" of about 6 songs on our own, in our houses. It took about four months of constant work, about a thousand takes, and many hours sitting in front of... textbooks. So, IMHO, before you rush to call Glen and others "cranky," you should examine a bit of the impulse behind it. There are reasons to build a home studio and there are reasons to go to a professional studio.

In this specific case, before worrying about how-to-mic this, and what to do with that, and what gear you need, etc. i think you should examine the overall goal of the project. What's the point?

My band records almost everything we do, and there are several different uses of all the material.

First: In home. You write a riff, and you want to remember it.
Second: Recording rehearsals/jams. You all write riffs and want to remember all of it.
Third: You want to have some shit on myspace to get shows.
Fourth: You want something to sell at shows to make enough gas money to get to the next one.

Each of these goals requires a different approach, a different amount of time, and ultimately, money.

From your post, I'm assuming it's somewhere between 2 and 3.

So here's what I would do:

I would spend approximately 70 bucks on two Behringer ECM8000s (LDC omnis) from 8th Street Music. I'd spend a few hours reading about stereo mic placement. Then I would take the band to a comfy space... set your shit up like you would at a show, mic the room nicely, and flip the laptop on, and track the whole thing live. Listen back... make adjustments... record again... listen back. put some kids in the room while you're playing. tell them to sing along. listen back.

Are they going to be the greatest recordings? No. Will everything be pretty clear and audible? Yes. Long as you put some time and care into it.

IMHO, capturing an 'energy' is more than an amalgamation of gear. If you're playing your ass off it will shine through, whether it's smeared across two inch tape or clipping the internal mic on your laptop.

That's how i'm feeling today, at least.

All you need to get a professional sound is lots of tubes, and analog tape.

That's because tubes are "warm," and they impart a sense of warmth and well-being to the tracks that they are a part of.

Unlike solid state gear, which is cold and uncomfortable to listen to.

In addition, analog tape has that "warm, punchy" sound. Unlike digital, which sounds like someone is pounding an ice pick in your ears.

:D

Oh yea, and run everything through a BBE sonic maximizer. That will help give your tracks that shiny, glossy high end.

All you need to get a professional sound is lots of tubes, and analog tape.

That's because tubes are "warm," and they impart a sense of warmth and well-being to the tracks that they are a part of.

Unlike solid state gear, which is cold and uncomfortable to listen to.

In addition, analog tape has that "warm, punchy" sound. Unlike digital, which sounds like someone is pounding an ice pick in your ears.

Oh yea, and run everything through a BBE sonic maximizer. That will help give your tracks that shiny, glossy high end.

oh yeah, thatll do it. you can mount it right above this in your rack:
3PIII-large.jpg

:rolleyes:

I would say to the original poster. just keep learning and keep going to threads and getting tips. listen to your favorite recordings and try to achieve the sounds you're looking for and keeping note of the other sounds you have gotten along the way. Don't be cheap, i mean by that is don't buy a crap piece of gear just because you think you need it. save money and get what you really want. And the most Important thing is never take what we say here about gear for gospel, go to a music store and try it out yourself....i repeat GO TO A MUSIC STORE AND TRY IT YOURSELF!!!!!.

OR, you could hire a pro engineer to come over, set up, and use your equipment to record your band at your house. They'll probably be able to get you an acceptable sound in a far shorter time than you will.

wow. didn't expect everyone here to be so... cranky...

anyways, maybe i should have said so in the original post, but i've been fooling around recording bands and stuff at home for 3 years now. I'm never really happy with the final sound that I get, so I was hoping for some suggestions. As for a "pro" sound... I just needed some kind of subject for the thread... I obviously realize that i'll never get a pro sounding demo on my budget and gear. I know there is a tonne of shit that I don't know and I was hoping for some suggestions...

Make sure to set your gains properly. Record the individual tracks. Dont mess with them (comp., eq's etc..). Upload all the waves to a host. Then post a link so we can download them and do it for you. You will get alot of people to post finished tunes and pick your favorites. Many of us have acsess to great outboard gear as well as great plugins. Put up a link and I'll give it a shot. I know others will too.

You're also going to want to use Pro Tools.

Because it sounds more "Pro."

Definitely running on OSX or Windows 95, because those operating systems sound much "punchier" and more classic sounding than XP.

You're also going to want to use Pro Tools.

Because it sounds more "Pro."

Definitely running on OSX or Windows 95, because those operating systems sound much "punchier" and more classic sounding than XP.

I hear ya Daisy....:D

I doubt if anyones going to want to mix your musis for you. Try it yourself and post your results for people to help you with.

A good technique i've found helpful is to have your monitors on very low, almost inaudiable. Then get the levels set so you can hear everything. Then turn it up a bit and start to work out whats interfering with what.

A word on EQ and i think everyone will agree, no EQ is better than EQ (i.e get it right when tracking) and if you must EQ, always cut rather than boost.

I find a good starting place for EQ is to shelf the low end of things which dont need it, guitars, vocals, etc. I'm talking taking off like 60 or 80hz and below, nothing too major. I find this can help clean up muddy mixes.

After EQ i look to compression. Distorted guitars probably wont need it, drums will, especially the kick. I find it essential on bass guitar and vocals also. Theres plenty of places online you can get advice on compression, or you might already know.

Keep checking your mix on alternative sources as often as you can, headphones, other speakers, etc.

I apologise i didn't see people offering to mix for you, if you wanted to give it a shot yourself though thats my basic mixing technique. I think its always good to have a go yourself. Even if you dont get the results you want, you'll have found one of the many ways not to do it next time.

Chamelious.

Eh..i was bored, i gave it a 1/2 hour of my time...definitly needs 2 be re-tracked though. :eek:

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=13833

That's probably the best that can be done with those tracks. .

Like it has been said a few times in this thread, and hundreds of times by experieinced engineers/producers/musicians...yet never seems to be acknowledged by the person at who it's always directed....Your recording can never be better than the performance. So, if th band's not tight and the drummer sounds like he's playing a different tune, and the guitars sound like they were recorded under an overpass, then all the "recording techniques" in the world won't help.

Back