How to find my style?

RichJ

Hi all,
Happy New Year to everyone!!
Here's a question to start of the year (and it may take the year to answer!).

How do I find my style of music/songwriting?

I'm a guitarist, but currently only have an acoustic. I have a basic computer setup with keyboard and various softsynths and plugins...
Some things I listen to: Lucinda Williams, Bruce Springsteen, The Cure, New Order, Depeche Mode, Air, Gorillaz, Chemical Brothers, Rush, Pearl Jam and Eddie Vedder, Radiohead, Green Day.

How do I go from listener of various styles to creator of my own music?
Ideas? Tips?
Thanks,
-Rich

one of my favorite quotes is from jazz legend dave brubeck...

"style is determined not by what you play... but by what you cant...."

in otherwords we limit ourselves by what we dont know... so the more you emerse yourself in lotsa styles the more style you have...

good luck finding your voice...

Well, if you have a guitar, you effectively have an orchestra. Some great songs have been written just using a few chords as backing and the melody sung over it. If you are an accomplished player, better still. A lot of very successful songwriters have only effectively had a guitar to compose with. Bob Dylan and Paul Simon being two that I admire. As to finding your own style, l reckon the previous poster is right - listen to anything and everything. It may take you a lifetimes search though, before you find it ..or you may have it by about Tuesday afternoon next week!

Good luck finding it! :)

Not to get too eastern and mystical so early in the year but - 'search eternal knowing you will never find what you seek'.

That said the searching need not be just floating along, you can be systematic?

Put aside the first few months of this year and take one song from each of the people you love to listen to (seemed a pretty good diverse bunch). Take one of their songs and as best you can in about 2 -3 hrs de-construct it (melody, lyric, accompaniment) then try to write a similar song (not a cover, but in the style of - even use same chord progression).

Try to do one a week; if you do not finish move on. After about 8 - 10 songs look back and see where you had most success, which artist's work, style resonated with you the most? List your top 3. Then go back and do the same again with a new song over about 2 weeks this time.

The thing is to work quickly and abandon what doesn't happen in the set time. This is not about song writing (though you are bound to write some material you may develop later) it is about finding what neighbourhood your style might live in.

Discovering your 'writing style' is a 'do-learn'. You can sit and listen and think as much as you like, but you are not asking what your 'listening style' is! Your listening style should be as noted above listening to anything and everything - even the rain on a tin roof.

You must also be analytical as you listen, so that you react to what you hear in terms of what you are currently writing.

You may be getting all 'Lucinda Williamsy' with a tune, when a New Order bass riff comes into your head, but without having some idea of where your
writing style or the style of the song is going it will just get messy. Your style might well be to bring the power of Springsteen lyrics, with synth pop and loud guitars?

HTH

Burt

one of my favorite quotes is from jazz legend dave brubeck...

"style is determined not by what you play... but by what you cant...."

This is a great quote!!!!

I think most musicians start by trying to copy the songs & styles of artists that they personally listen to. I'm an old dude, but when I started, musicians were very much influenced by the sounds of Motown, then when the "British invasion" came, guitarists tried to copy the Beatles & Stones and then a little later, Clapton, Hendrix, etc. - which in turn directed them back to the old blues artists

It seems natural that any initial writing would be in the style of the music one listens to and is influenced by.

However, as dementedchord suggests, the more music styles and artists one listens to, there will be more influences and that can help one find their musical place.

That place can and likely will change over time. Myself, I was intiitally influnced very much by R & B, then very much by the blues based rock & roll of the late 60's - as I progressed as a musician I became very much interested in jazz - and then as a songwriter I became interested in country.

So - as you can see.........influences can change often - and each change impacts personal "style"

Thanks all.
Very interesting posts...
I'm sure most songwriters write songs all the time that are "outside" or their normal style. Hence, b-sides, rareties, side projects, solo projects...or the classic "new direction" album.

Guess I gotta get writing!
Cheers,
-Rich

Back