How to eliminate the deep microphone sound

v01d

The sound of my mic is quite deep as it was created for podcasting. I was wondering how i could eliminate the deepness when recording vocals. I've messed around with the graphic eq. and got some pretty good results but still nothing near perfect. Thanks

Let me summarise all the answers for you...

Your mic is a USB mic. No-one here likes them much for anything but podcasting, hence the suggestion to get a better mic.

Your mic is a condenser and subject to the proximity effect - hence the advice to step back away from it.

put a pop screen in front of it too.......then you know you are not to close and by putting your nose almost against it to gauge your distance it will help with keeping a more constant level as well.

Absolutely! A new microphone is the smartest option. By the time you end up buying filters and enhancers, you will have spent what a decent omnidirectional mic costs.

Lauren
getavproducts. com

The OP doesn't necessarily need to buy an omni mic, just a mic more suited for vocals & not podcasting. There are plenty of options for cheap vocal mics (condensers & dynamics).

GLS ES58 is great and super cheap. 30 bones, can't get better than that. I got an AT 2020 for 45, Behringer C1 for 39. All very decent mics. Look for clearance items, save a ton of money.

GLS ES58 is great and super cheap. 30 bones, can't get better than that. I got an AT 2020 for 45, Behringer C1 for 39. All very decent mics. Look for clearance items, save a ton of money.

I don't have an ES58, but I have several ES57's and they're great. Especially for $30. Plus like you said, buy used and save a lot. Look for an AT202 or Studio Projects B1. You can probably find them used for less than $50.

Good to know about proximity effect though, I did not know that before. I have a few condensers and that will help a great deal.

Good to know about proximity effect though, I did not know that before. I have a few condensers and that will help a great deal.

It's the directional pattern that causes proximity effect. Omni pattern mics don't have proximity effect. Whether it's dynamic or condenser has nothing to do with it.

Back