how to do vocal like mgmt song "kids"

is it better to record one vocal track, make copies of it, change the start times of each and combine or should you actually record multiple vocal tracks?

so you do that and then on top of that do delay... any tips on the settings for the delay?

It's hard to hear anything at all beyond the extreme compression and limiting; yikes, I mean there's bad and then there's awful...this one is obscene. But once you get past the headache of listening to a -1dBRMS wall of Formica, yeah, it sounds like there's a bunch of reverb on top of either delay or doubling, with possibly a little Autotune thrown in.

G.

I would definitely record multiple vocal takes to get that chorus-like sound. Copying tracks is not going to give you the same effect at all. As far as delay settings go you'll just have to experiment and see what works for you. You could do a search for "delay settings" on this BBS and (although the topics may not pertain to this particular song) probably come up with some good tips and starting points.

ok, so as a rough guide to an amateur like myself, I should in order:
1. record multiple takes
2. apply extreme compression (?)
3. apply delay
4. apply reverb

right?

Before you think about steps 2-4, play around with step one. I remember when I found out about doubling (and more) vocals, and started playing around with it, I ended up laying down like five or six vocal tracks for the songs I was working on at that point. Not that I used them all, but if you haven't done it before, you'll be amazed at the number of vocal sounds you can get just by blending two or more vocal tracks recorded separately. Try playing around with the room you are in. Record one take close to the mic, one further from it, one accross the room with a couple of mics in a stereo X/Y configuration, one from another room, sing with different parts of your throat, different octaves (if you're able to), whatever pops into your head while you're doing the recording. You really will be amazed at the number of cool vocal "effects" you can get just from having multiple vocal tracks. And you really will get a lot of "Ah-ha!" moments where some mix of vocals sounds just like some song you like. Have Fun!:)

Heavy compression, multiple layers, reverb and in the spots you cited - shit tons of delay.

Back