How to do the "built in self test" on the ADAT?

solarscar

I was reading this article about buying used ADAT's and noticed that one of the things the service center does is "put the ADAT through its built-in self-test routine"

Anyone know much about what it does and how to analyze whatever it does??

Thanks!

Selective Self Test Mode

RECORD 1 & RECORD 8 While POWER-ON = (Auto Self Test Mode)

RECORD 1 & RECORD 7 While POWER-ON =(Selective Self Test Mode)

I hope this is what you are looking for.

Last edited:
Test Mode

Option

Procedure

1 Access to the TEST procedures applies to ALL adats. Test options for various models are noted below in Table Two.

To initiate — with no tape in the machine — power-up while holding down individual "track record ready" buttons 1 & 7. Press PITCH Ý / ß buttons to scroll through menu options. Press AUTO-PLAY button to select menu item.

NOTE: Black-face units will read "ProG." XT and later machines will read "0 SHIP *" (The LX-20 uses a soft-style power up a la Apple Macintosh and ATX-style PCs. For the LX-20, power-up using the switch on a standard power-outlet strip.)

2 BRAKE CAL without entering TEST mode.
3 Soft Reset (Reinitialize): Press RECORD and PLAY on Power Up.
4 Hard Reset: For Service Techinicans Only
5 Analog E-to-E
6 Digital E-to-E
7 Error Rate (all except Black-Face): Press SET LOCATE & Record Enable 3

Table 2

Option Procedure

1 Access to the TEST procedures applies to ALL adats. Test options for various models are noted below in Table Two.

To initiate — with no tape in the machine — power-up while holding down individual "track record ready" buttons 1 & 7. Press PITCH Ý / ß buttons to scroll through menu options. Press AUTO-PLAY button to select menu item.

NOTE: Black-face units will read "ProG." XT and later machines will read "0 SHIP *" (The LX-20 uses a soft-style power up a la Apple Macintosh and ATX-style PCs. For the LX-20, power-up using the switch on a standard power-outlet strip.)
2 BRAKE CAL without entering TEST mode.
3 Soft Reset (Reinitialize): Press RECORD and PLAY on Power Up.
4 Hard Reset: For Service Techinicans Only
5 Analog E-to-E
6 Digital E-to-E
7 Error Rate (all except Black-Face): Press SET LOCATE & Record Enable 3

For XT Cal Mode

My XT indicates "CAl brAC." What do I do?

“CAl brAC" stands for “calibrate brakes,” which — like an automobile — need to be adjusted from time to time. Brake calibration on the XT is accomplished through software and does not require a trip to a service center. “Overshooting” is another indication that the brakes should be re-calibrated. For example, the XT fast-winds and overshoots the locate point, winds back and overshoots again, then winds forward and overshoots — a shorter distance each time — until eventually reaching the locate point.

Step

Description

Obtain a standard ST-126 length that has been completely formatted from beginning to end.

Use a non-essential tape. Do not use ST-180 or ST-60 lengths.
With the power OFF, press REWIND and FAST FORWARD during POWER-UP.

The display will read "CALIbrAt."
Insert the formatted ST-126 tape into the transport.

The XT will then FF the tape to the end then begin its routine.
The XT will shuttle the tape back and forth for about 5 minutes.

During this procedure, the tape will half-eject twice. This is normal.
Assuming the tape, the reel motor and the brake solenoids are operational, the display should briefly read "PaSS" before fully ejecting the tape and returning to the "ADAT-XT" start up screen. If so, the brakes have now been re-calibrated.
If the "CAL brAc" message re-appears, check operation with another tape.

If the message persists, the unit must be professionally serviced.

Table Two: Brake calibration for the XT is recommended after every 250 "head drum" hours.

My XT indicates "CAl p9" when powering up, what do I do?

Numeric displays aren’t capable of accurately displaying all alpha characters. This particular message may look like “Cal P9,” but it actually is “Cal PG.” PG is the once-a-round pulse generated by a small magnet at the base of the head drum motor. It is used to align timing signals between the head stack and the control track head. When the PG Delay is not set properly, odds are that your XT will indicate that it is performing error correction via the “flashing sunburst.”

You can reset the PG setting by performing the following tasks:

Step

Procedure

1 Without a tape in the XT, lift the transport door and shine a flashlight into the unit. Notice the sticker on the back panel, to the right. Next to the field "PG" is a hand-written number — the PG value set by the factory technician. Write this number down.

2 Turn the XT on while holding down track buttons 1 & 7. The display will read "0 SHIP *"

3 Press PITCH UP three times. The display will read "3 P9 dLY *"
Press PLAY, the * will disappear, indicating that the PG Delay diagnostic has been initiated.

4 Press and hold PITCH UP or PITCH DOWN until the PG value agrees with the number written on the sticker inside the unit.

5 Once that value has been reached, press and hold the EJECT button, then press REC to save the PG value. The display will then read "3 P9 dLY *"

6 Press the EJECT button once more and the XT will enter its normal operation mode.

7 Tapes recorded during the time when PG was improperly set should be backed up onto a new tape, AFTER the PG is reset, in order to preserve the audio without errors.

Please remember to use caution. "Not responsable for any mistakes you might make. Just a provider of information.

Last edited:
HD24 Self Test

Hasbeen.
Thanks Bro. I do not have that information at this time. I do not know if there is one to the public right now. BUt I have a feeling that there is a test. I will do some research and post it back here if I find any. Sorry.!!!..

Back