How to connect an external music source to my audio interface (TASCAM US-1800)

Xcaliber

I recently purchased a TASCAM US-1800 interface and I would like to connect an external music source (CD player, mp3 player, iPhone, iPad) as an input so I can listen to reference material both on it's own and while I'm recording (e.g. cover songs). How can I go about getting something like my iPad, iPhone or an external CD player to play through the headphones and/or monitors that are hooked up to the 1800?

Thanks in advance for any help/guidance you can give on this.

Sorry, do you mean the headphone out on the CD player/mp3 player? Would I connect it to one of the "balanced in" jack on the 1800 then?

Sorry, do you mean the headphone out on the CD player/mp3 player? Would I connect it to one of the "balanced in" jack on the 1800 then?

That is what I would do. Since the headphone plug would be consistent to all of the devices, would work for all of them (maybe CD player may cause problems depending on how old it is, etc). You would connect the output to two inputs on the Tascam, one for left and the other for right then select both channels as the input for the track in the DAW.

Whelp, I'm going to have to go with the "input" option as importing an MP3 into my DAW on this old Macbook Pro crashes the program every time. I like that idea though. Time to hit radio shack for a cable tomorrow...

Back