how to burn a mp3 (and not a cda)?

DovidK

My Fostex VF80Ex is now burning songs in cda format. It used to burn them in mp3 format (i think that was the format). In any case, I can't do anything with the cda format (can't sent via email, post to my website). Can anyone tell me what wrong button i hit, and how to correct this? Obviously, I'm not a technically inclined person. Thanks!

I've never heard of the VF series ripping directly to MP3. You can rip your CD-DA files to MP3s with Windows MediaPlayer or other software. Media Player also rips WAV files to MP3 format.

Paj
8^)

cda files means you burnt a regular cd audio disk.

the cda file is a little 1k pointer or shortcut that directs the cd player to the real audio file hidden on the audio cd.
as such, you can't do anything with the cda as it contains no real audio information.

The manual is HERE
Go to page 114 and it'll show you exactly how to burn a data disk....

As far I know, a data disk will absolutely not help in burning an MP3, since it saves data in a Fostex proprietary format which is not readable by any MS or Apple operating system. Someone did have a Linnux utility available a while back. I'm going to make the assumption here that Linnux literacy is not the solution.

Simply take your CD and rip it to MP3 using Windows Media Player or some equivalent. There is no "direct-to-MP3" funtion on the VF series. If you need separate tracks, use the "Save as WAV" feature; if you need a standard, mixed, MP3, save as "CD-DA" and rip the MP3 from the audio CD.

Paj
8^)

Back