How to avoid recording the strumming

IsmaelTapiaII

So, here's my situation.

I've got a half-stack set up in my living room. It sounds pretty good, even at the low volume levels I have to use if I want to continue living here. And I can get a pretty decent distorted tone just by pointing an SM-57 right at the cone. But the problem is that, because I can't turn the amp up too high and I can't get too far from the amp when I'm playing, the mic picks up the sound of me strumming when I'm playing rhythm parts. This is really, really distracting and, of course, it completely screws up the final product.

Any suggestions on how to avoid this without turning up the amp much more?

Thanks!

So, here's my situation.

I've got a half-stack set up in my living room. It sounds pretty good, even at the low volume levels I have to use if I want to continue living here. And I can get a pretty decent distorted tone just by pointing an SM-57 right at the cone. But the problem is that, because I can't turn the amp up too high and I can't get too far from the amp when I'm playing, the mic picks up the sound of me strumming when I'm playing rhythm parts. This is really, really distracting and, of course, it completely screws up the final product.

Any suggestions on how to avoid this without turning up the amp much more?

Thanks!

Buy (or build) an acoustic panel, put it on a stand (now you've got an improvised gobo) and put it between you and the mic.

Here's some (no I don't work for them or sell them--it's just the ones I bought and I like 'em). You can build them with 703 panels yourself. There's lots of threads on that topic...

http://www.gikacoustics.com/gik_242.html

open up your guitar case, put it between you and the mic....padding inside it should help.

Back