how to automate volumes with cubase?

soloboy

every time when I'm trying to automate a vocal track, I use to get all the way back cutting it into pieces and adjust'em by each.

is there any ways better than this?? it doesn't feel right nor satisfied with. :(

I know about automation line which appears below the track but for some reason I can't get with it.

any ideas about it? please share goods!! :) !

I don't use Cubase but a quick google found loads of videos of people who do, showing you how to use automation.

There are probably better tutorials on the subject on YouTube that go more in depth. There is a hell of a lot you can do with Automation.

Well worth reading up on. :thumbs up:

I'd recommend using vari-audio as well, you can not only edit the pitch vibrato of each note but also the timing...I've only just started learning it but it's becoming a very useful tool

I'd recommend using vari-audio as well, you can not only edit the pitch vibrato of each note but also the timing...I've only just started learning it but it's becoming a very useful tool

thx mate! gotta dig it up! btw your tunes awesssssomeee!!! :D

every time when I'm trying to automate a vocal track, I use to get all the way back cutting it into pieces and adjust'em by each.

is there any ways better than this??

Cubase aside, since most DAWs have some form of volume automation (I use Samplitude)....I find that cutting and manually adjusting is the most precise way, especially since I'm already going to cut up most of the tracks anyway in order to do a lot of other edits/processing.
By doing it that way, I don't have another "layer" of stuff going on with automation lines/handles/options....and, I can actually see the waves volume change graphically, where as with some DAW automation methods, it's all/only represented in/by the volume curve lines.

I mean...you gotta find what you prefer, so there's no one best way to do it. I just wanted to mention that slice-n-dice editing really isn't the worse/wrong way to do it, and with very precision edits and volume changes where there are also crossfades and whatnot....I could never get comfortable with using volume line curves and all that, as it often feels too crude to me...and I also prefer less clutter on the screen. :)

Cubase aside, since most DAWs have some form of volume automation (I use Samplitude)....I find that cutting and manually adjusting is the most precise way, especially since I'm already going to cut up most of the tracks anyway in order to do a lot of other edits/processing.
By doing it that way, I don't have another "layer" of stuff going on with automation lines/handles/options....and, I can actually see the waves volume change graphically, where as with some DAW automation methods, it's all/only represented in/by the volume curve lines.

I mean...you gotta find what you prefer, so there's no one best way to do it. I just wanted to mention that slice-n-dice editing really isn't the worse/wrong way to do it, and with very precision edits and volume changes where there are also crossfades and whatnot....I could never get comfortable with using volume line curves and all that, as it often feels too crude to me...and I also prefer less clutter on the screen. :)

Not to mention, in cubase, the default is set so volume automation is last in the process line. For a vocal track that has lots of volume variation, you'll have to compress the bejesus out of it to get it stable. Much better to dice it up and use clip gain (like you have been doing OP) so your volumes are more constant. Then, use automation for BIG changes like verse/chorus, etc.

Back