how to automate filter cutoff

dayexday

Hello,

a semi-newbie question.

I use cakewalk sonar 4. I have a rhythm piece repeating throughout a project and to make it sound more interesting I would to apply a low pass or high pass filter where i'm constantly adjusting the cutoff. Like they do a lot in techno music.

Does anyone know how to automate this, if possible using the pitch bend wheel to change the cutoff? or is it possible to do a a track envelope and do it graphically?

basically, i have no idea how to do this. i looked through the manual and saw how to automate pan and volume but couldnt figure out anything else.

Any help is appreciated.

... i looked through the manual and saw how to automate pan and volume but couldnt figure out anything else.
You're real close there. When you right click the clip to add a track envelope there should be options to choose the various effect's parameters to assign. The effect has to already be inserted in the track of course.

Don't know about the external controller thingy.:)

thanks for the great reply mixsit.
so i add the parametric EQ to the FX bin and when i assign it to the envelope i get to choose from:
band 1 gain
band 2 gain (band 3 gain, etc)
band 1 freq
band 1 Q
band 1 type
band 1 enable

and they do that for 4 bands.

so i choose band 1 freq and the nodes represent the cutoff?

to help me figure out which one is the one i want, i did a "reference" track by cloning the track and split the track at each measure and manually applied a parametric EQ low pass to each clip and changed the cutoff for each frequency.

i couldnt get the automation to sound like the reference track so i dont know what im doing wrong.

'Nodes are just where the turn (adjusment) points are, lines still represent 'amounts'. So looks like you'd first set the eq band one to the type of filter -no need to envelope that, then perhaps automate 'frequency and/or 'gain -depending on how that part shakes out. (Will you need both? Don't know w/o being there. Sonitus or 'Cakey plug? :)

i couldnt get the automation to sound like the reference track so i dont know what im doing wrong.

Is the whole mix or just parts of the mix being filtered?

Did you cut/boost the gain?Making a frequency envelope will have no effect without a cut or boost in gain.

Back