how to add warmth to a stereo mix?

liamo

hey all, am mixing from a no frills digital 8 track on to my pc but the sound is really cold? now i know whatever effect i add will go over the whole mix so i just want something to warm it up a bit and give it a bit of life? does anyone have any suggestions on how to do that?
cheers
liamo

Define "warm"... define "cold".... these terms are really meaningless because they mean different things to different people.

The way a mix sounds overall starts with the tracking and arrangement. It doesn't "suddenly become cold" when you mix the song.

Also it isn't too common to add a single effect over a whole mix. You generally add specific effects to specific tracks to give them dimension.

More info on mixing here --> http://www3.sympatico.ca/bvaleria/bluebear/articles/mixing101.htm

The problem is probably a tracking issue.Not having the right sound to begin with or bad mic placement/selection.If you can't retrack, try using warmer sounding reverbs on the individual tracks.Warmer meaning, rolling off more of the high end on the verb and leaving more low end content.

Agreeing with the above, take another good look at the mix first, tracing back to the track level.
Are you already doing anything on the stereo bus as part of the 'mix'?
Wayne

Fix it in tracking. If the sound isn't at least 95% of exactly how you want it, retrack it.

I am just repeating these sentiments because I think if you hear them from enough people, enough times, it might seem important. And it is. If you want to get good sounding recordings, steer away from trying to find some 'effect' that will make it sound good. You can polish a turd, but in the end it may be shiny but it's still a turd.

Not trying to be rude, just trying to save you a lot of time that guys like me have wasted because I didn't know any better.

Good luck.

Try running the whole mix through a very light compressor at about 2.5-3db, limit about 2db, and bring the overall volume up to about -.3db. Run a slight de-ess over the whole track, then use a parametric EQ to check out the hi-hat frequency around 10khz that has a really nice "sss" sound. Boost it if you think it'll sound better. Find the boxxy, muddy frequencies between 280-320hz and see if a 1-3db cut makes things sound better. Sometimes it will, sometimes not.

OF COURSE, this is all based on how the track sounds to begin with, but I find that you can usually add a great deal to an "unwarm" mix by following this pretty simple outline most of the time.

Please, nobody needs to tell me how this isn't mastering, or how this is totally dependent on the sound of the track. I know this, we all know this. I'm just giving the guy a straight answer and hopefully a place to start.

the above suggestions are all great for avoiding your problem......

a small band aid is to run it thru an Art Tube pre or a Joe Meek or some sort of saturation plugin....its only a small band-aid but it would help......

ryanlikestorock said:
I'm just giving the guy a straight answer and hopefully a place to start.
We all gave him a straight answer - more importantly, it was the correct answer.

I don't know how giving someone specific numbers that may or may not apply (because it all DOES depend on the context) is any more of a straight answer than what we told him....

Blue Bear Sound said:
We all gave him a straight answer - more importantly, it was the correct answer.

I don't know how giving someone specific numbers that may or may not apply (because it all DOES depend on the context) is any more of a straight answer than what we told him....

I appreciate your concern. I figured that my last two sentences explaining how I figured someone would tear apart my attempt to help this guy out would defuse the comment before it made its way to the board, but I guess that wasn't quite enough.

Everyone seemed to be replying with "never fix it in the mix", and I figured I'd give him my very rough estimate on how he should start attempting to fix it if re-mixing the track wasn't an option, or something he wanted to do. Certainly not nearly as correct as your answer, we all know... but, one slightly different way of looking at the problem.

I'm sorry if my comment about giving him a place to start insulted you. It wasn't at all my intent, I assure you. I just didn't want to be the 7th guy to say "yeah, what he said" in this thread, but to offer a slightly different perspective. My apologies. If it makes everyone feel any better, just count in me for another "what he said". Cool?

ryanlikestorock, i don't think anyone was insulted by your comments. I really didn't know how to answer his original question as I didn't know what was lacking that would need 'warmth' and 'life'. So I figured if it sounds 'cold' and 'lifeless' maybe he could begin by fixing that with the source.

You did have some good suggestions as far as starting points and that may have been exactly what he was hoping for. If we had a little more detail on what he needed help with, I would be happy to offer suggestions.

There are many things out there that claim to warm up a mix - different ones may work better than others on specific mixes.

There 's the Cranesong HEDD, Empirical Labs FATSO jr, and PSP Vintage Warmer for starters in hardware solutions. I've never used the Vintage Warmer piece, but the other two can do "warming" quite well. Many high end tube compressors can accomplish a certain amount of warming as well.

In the software realm, there must be dozens. I've tried DUY Tape but didn't care for it that much, although I've heard some pretty decent engineers swear by it. My favorite is the Sony Oxford Dynamics plug-in. The Master Comp preset with warmth set at 100% can sound remarkable on some material. Of course, on other things it can suck...

Tubes are the way! Get a duel tube pre-amp to run your master through!

Digital recordings are dry and lifeless by nature in my opinion. Nothing sounds better than a new LP that was recorded on an analogue tape machine. Although I should note that unless it is a sealed LP from long ago, pretty much every new record has been digitized at one phase or another. Even new LPs of old recordings. I know when they reissued all of the Beatle albums in LP format, in the mid nineties I think it was, the masters used on each record was the new digital one made for each CD. But they still sounded fantastic and much better than the CD did if played on a good system!

But anyway I feel even the best, most dynamic, and well mixed digital recordings lack something and I fix it by running everything I record through one of my tube preamps. They make a recording sound absolutely gorgeous and warm. At least mine do; I have a few varieties of preamps manufactured by the ART Company and they absolutely bring "life" back into a digital recording. And if you run them real warm, they can add a natural soft compression to the sound.

Pretty much every track, from drum machine to vocals, is run through a tube amp before it is even hits the mixer and is recorded. If I use any effects, or a compressor, I will first amplify the signal through one tube first, then run it through the effects chain and/or compressor, and finally through another tube before it goes into the mixer and onto my recording.

Even any busses I may use to add some delay or any other effect goes through the tube preamp before it goes back into the mixer.

When I do final mix downs, I take the recordings from my 8 track and run it through a stereo duel tube pre-amp (usually pretty warm unless it is a classical guitar track or something else that demands a "softer" sound) before I burn it to CD on my stand-alone CD burner.

I got a new ART preamp which has a dial with numerous several settings you can use to get different sounds and colorings. It also includes a limiter which is nice on many of those settings. But of course the limiter and colorings are optional. There is just a plain "tube" setting that adds no additional coloring and is not limited.

I tend to use this particular preamp for all of my mix downs as they go to their "phase 1 CD."

I then upload the song into my computer to tidy up each track with cool-edit pro and other software. I do some hard-limiting and get each song at similiar volume, then assemble the tracks as needeed to put together a final album which I burn from my computer onto the "phase 2 CD" which is the final product.

Some digital purists may claim tubes add "noise" to a recording, but the hiss produced by tubes (at least mine anyway) is absolutely negligible and only audible during fade-outs if you are wearing headphones and looking for it. It's nothing you hear unless you strain and look for it. And you can easily fix that with a computer editor like cool-edit pro that has hiss filters.

I'll admit it's personal taste. I like the sound of analogue, and I love the warmth tubes provide to my recordings.

Some do not like tubes. But there is no right or wrong, though I'd never issue a recording that wasn't tubed at some point (or at many points ;) ).

Last edited:
Well, so Liamo, if you'd like some (humble) help from a guy that doesn't own a single damned tube worth mentioning :D and feels 'warm and fuzzes' are way WAY down on his list of things to worry about, fire away.
First off, what's in your toolkit and what are you tracking?
:D
Wayne

P.S. I should mention I don't know squat about hiss filters either.:p
(We're having fun here right?:D

Re: Tubes are the way! Get a duel tube pre-amp to run your master through!

Morningloryseed said:
Digital recordings are dry and lifeless by nature in my opinion. Nothing sounds better than a new LP that was recorded on an analogue tape machine. Although I should note that unless it is a sealed LP from long ago, pretty much every new record has been digitized at one phase or another. Even new LPs of old recordings. I know when they reissued all of the Beatle albums in LP format, in the mid nineties I think it was, the masters used on each record was the new digital one made for each CD. But they still sounded fantastic and much better than the CD did if played on a good system!

But anyway I feel even the best, most dynamic, and well mixed digital recordings lack something and I fix it by running everything I record through one of my tube preamps. They make a recording sound absolutely gorgeous and warm. At least mine do; I have a few varieties of preamps manufactured by the ART Company and they absolutely bring "life" back into a digital recording. And if you run them real warm, they can add a natural soft compression to the sound.

Pretty much every track, from drum machine to vocals, is run through a tube amp before it is even hits the mixer and is recorded. If I use any effects, or a compressor, I will first amplify the signal through one tube first, then run it through the effects chain and/or compressor, and finally through another tube before it goes into the mixer and onto my recording.

Even any busses I may use to add some delay or any other effect goes through the tube preamp before it goes back into the mixer.

When I do final mix downs, I take the recordings from my 8 track and run it through a stereo duel tube pre-amp (usually pretty warm unless it is a classical guitar track or something else that demands a "softer" sound) before I burn it to CD on my stand-alone CD burner.

I got a new ART preamp which has a dial with numerous several settings you can use to get different sounds and colorings. It also includes a limiter which is nice on many of those settings. But of course the limiter and colorings are optional. There is just a plain "tube" setting that adds no additional coloring and is not limited.

I tend to use this particular preamp for all of my mix downs as they go to their "phase 1 CD."

I then upload the song into my computer to tidy up each track with cool-edit pro and other software. I do some hard-limiting and get each song at similiar volume, then assemble the tracks as needeed to put together a final album which I burn from my computer onto the "phase 2 CD" which is the final product.

Some digital purists may claim tubes add "noise" to a recording, but the hiss produced by tubes (at least mine anyway) is absolutely negligible and only audible during fade-outs if you are wearing headphones and looking for it. It's nothing you hear unless you strain and look for it. And you can easily fix that with a computer editor like cool-edit pro that has hiss filters.

I'll admit it's personal taste. I like the sound of analogue, and I love the warmth tubes provide to my recordings.

Some do not like tubes. But there is no right or wrong, though I'd never issue a recording that wasn't tubed at some point (or at many points ;) ).

I've actually tried doing the ART thing with a stereo mix (using a dual mp), and did several A/B comparisons between unprocessed, subtle and heavy dialed in starved-tube settings (not because i think anything sounds wrong with digital or im in love with analog - but simply to experiment). It had an interesting effect that worked well for one or two mixes (but i would not call it "warm"...maybe "grainy" but appropriate for that song), but sounded poor in others (degraded, loss of high end). It totally depended on the source material. I get alot of use out of my ART units for tracking certain things...but not for running a whole mix through.

T

I have to admit, I was sceptical to the point of laughing at it and thinking it was basically a joke . . . but the PSP Vintage Warmer plugin is kinda' cool in some situations.

Try getting a 2 track reel to reel to mix onto and then bring it back into the computer. a properly working 1/4 inch machine will work nice.

SoMm

Just make sure you have some damn good converters if you're going that route.

Otherwise, I think the whole point in that gets kind of lost when you consider you're making two digital conversions and only one analog conversion.

Back