How to Add Effect to Just a Section, Not Entire Track?

Inspired

I'm new to Cubase LE 4. So far, I'm noticing that it's not half as user-friendly as CakeWalk Sonar! I may wind up switching back. Anyway, my current question is:

How can I add a Reverb effect to just a little section of a loop? I don't want an entire track to be effected.

I'm new to Cubase LE 4. So far, I'm noticing that it's not half as user-friendly as CakeWalk Sonar! I may wind up switching back. Anyway, my current question is:

How can I add a Reverb effect to just a little section of a loop? I don't want an entire track to be effected.

If you use the "cut" command (scissors on the tools bar) and cut out the section you need.

Right click on the track you have, and select 'duplicate'

This will create an identical track with the same 'cut out' loop section

delete the parts of the loop you don't need

If you use the "cut" command (scissors on the tools bar) and cut out the section you need.

Right click on the track you have, and select 'duplicate'

This will create an identical track with the same 'cut out' loop section

delete the parts of the loop you don't need

Great idea. I'm trying that. Haven't got the kind of results that I got with Sonar, but I'll keep trying. With Sonar you could just select a piece of the clip that you wanted, then process it with whatever effect you wanted. The rest of the clip would be unchanged.

without using the duplicate feature and using more tracks you can still cut out the audio part then "Process" it in place with whatever effect you desire

without using the duplicate feature and using more tracks you can still cut out the audio part then "Process" it in place with whatever effect you desire

True.

So far, I don't think Cubase LE 4 is anywhere near as good as Sonar! It's not user-friendly by any means. Below are some of the things that I liked about Sonar 2.0XL, that don't seem to be easy with Cubase:

* To continue a loop, all you had to do was click and drag the edge.
* You could right click a loop and change the clip's properties, such as rename it, change it's color, or even change the key of it!
* You could simply select a piece of a clip and process it without having to perform any cuts.
* Inserting and deleting Markers was extremely easy.
* Overall, Sonar's layout is just so much better than Cubase LE 4.

There are so many other things, but these are what caught my attention rather quickly. I don't think Cubase is gonna last much longer with me. I used to have a Sonar 2.0XL disc, but no longer have it. Guess I need to start looking into the latest versions!

I think...

Without having Cubase on this computer, I think that you can automate the effect that you want. Get the effect to sound the way that you want it to and automate the amount of effect. I've never done it, but I believe that it's possible. Forgive me if I'm wrong. :)

Without having Cubase on this computer, I think that you can automate the effect that you want. Get the effect to sound the way that you want it to and automate the amount of effect. I've never done it, but I believe that it's possible. Forgive me if I'm wrong. :)

You right. Thats how I do it. Open an automation lane (it will default to volume), left click on the word "volume" and it will bring up the list of automation parameters, select "more..". A window will open with a tree of all the automation for the track, expand "inserts", and expand your reverb plugin. The first choice there should be "bypass", select that. It has only two states, "on" and "off". Turn on your automation read (the buttom marked "R"), make 3 marks on the lane and adjust it accordingly.

Back