How to acheive this vocal sound?

I don;t know why anyone would want that sound. That sounds absolutely horrible. It's distorted, the highs are grating as hell, and it's generally a pretty amateur sounding vocal track. Actually, the whole thing sounds like it was recorded by someone who's just starting out and has no idea how to gain-stage and record in genereal.

But to answer your question, just about any mic and pre would give you that "sound". Add reverb to get that "distant" feel to it.

Rami, I thought you were being kind of harsh with this poor guys question. Then I listened to the clip.
Ouch.
Most any mic and preamp turned up to 11 will get pretty close to that.........timber...........

Rami, I thought you were being kind of harsh with this poor guys question. Then I listened to the clip.
Ouch.
Most any mic and preamp turned up to 11 will get pretty close to that.........timber...........
Yeah, I wouldn't pass judgement in a case like this, usually. I'd either try to answer his question or leave it alone if I couldn't answer it. But that was really horrible, I just can't understand why anyone would WANT that "sound".

After reading all these comments, I had to listen! Even the instruments are recorded badly. Sounds like an old overdriven cassette recording from the 70s.

Sounds like he might have double-tracked as well.

So get the cheapest mic and vocal chain you can. Turn everything up until it starts distorting. Sing the part twice, pan them to opposite sides of the mix. Add a slight delay to one and too much reverb to both.

It's a pretty objectively bad sound, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Music is art, and sometimes art is ugly. Just be careful that if your art is ugly, you're doing it on purpose.

Back