how to accurately use the reagate plug-in for noise-reduction/removal

1Chance

i'm sort of a newbie to reaper & was having problems with noise in my vocal recordings.
i don't have a booth atm, so i have to contend with noise from the cpu, air conditioner & outdoor noise.
can some1 please put me through on how to use the reagate plug-in to "remove/reduce" the noise on my vocals without distorting them.
thanks

I don't know about reagate, but I usually use ReaFIR for noise reduction. Here's a quick tutorial for it:

(Oh, ok, I can't post URL's yet, so just google "How to use remove noise with Wavosaur and ReaFIR").

The primary thing to do is grab the slider on the left and drag it down until the noise disappears and your actual audio doesn't.

Of course, depending on what you're recording it might not work so well. Gating works well for drums since the only thing you need to get through the gate are brief bursts of sound that easily overwhelm the noise. For a guitar, you're probably just stuck with noise.

Oh, cool. Pipeline Audio has a tutorial! Those are pretty useful.

A gate can't get rid of noise while singing or whatever. Even if properly gated, the noise will kick up as soon as you start singing.

A gate can't get rid of noise while singing or whatever. Even if properly gated, the noise will kick up as soon as you start singing.

+1

A noise gate is used to remove noise when there is no live signal - for the silences between phrases/notes. If you've got room noise on your recordings, you might be able to get rid of some my selective EQing, but it will probably be necessary to re-record - turning off allt he offense noise-making stuff! Depending on what's I'm micing, I have to turn off the fish tank in the other room, sometimes unplug the fridge in the kitchen ... turn down the heat so that the pipes and radiators aren't making noise ...

+1

A noise gate is used to remove noise when there is no live signal - for the silences between phrases/notes. If you've got room noise on your recordings, you might be able to get rid of some my selective EQing, but it will probably be necessary to re-record - turning off allt he offense noise-making stuff! Depending on what's I'm micing, I have to turn off the fish tank in the other room, sometimes unplug the fridge in the kitchen ... turn down the heat so that the pipes and radiators aren't making noise ...

thanks for the advice... but the offending device is the cpu fan. i can't possibly turn that off.
& can you please elaborate "selective EQing"...

To negate the CPU fan make sure your cardiod mic has the null (back) side toward the CPU. It won't eliminate it, but that should allow the minimum bleed.

thanks for the advice... but the offending device is the cpu fan. i can't possibly turn that off.
& can you please elaborate "selective EQing"...

As the post by ianuarius said, ReaFIR would usually be a better tool once it is recorded.

take aaroncoleman's advice if you can to try and keep it from happening in the first place

Back