How they record this show?

How loud is the notebook? Looks like they did not use a lavalier? Maybe a directional mic above the kids heads so that the notebook noise (if any) was rejected by the mic pattern.

Can you put it on something like an Ipad or tablet? No noise then.

Alan.

I hear the speakers (whether notebook speakers or if they pumped it into a different system) many times just in the first two minutes... They get even more obvious after that. (Sorry, it's still on in the background)

Anyway -- Using an external speaker would probably help quite a bit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RLU7hfgP8w

I want to record something similar but i'm having a lot of trouble, the sound from the notebook is captured by the lavalier i am using on my actor....

How can i isolate my actor voice from the sound of the notebook?

thanks

Do what they did and gate it out. Far as the bleed from the actors lav, you're going to have to process it and deal with it. If you have the money, and your project is worth it, find a good post production studio and ADR. Could easily be overkill though.

I hear the speakers (whether notebook speakers or if they pumped it into a different system) many times just in the first two minutes... They get even more obvious after that. (Sorry, it's still on in the background)

Anyway -- Using an external speaker would probably help quite a bit...

Oh yeah, 2:45 is super-egregious. Somewhat ironic that the song sounds better bleeding through the laptop speakers than whatever muffled YouTube rip they were using as the "original"

Anyway, boom mic. Good audio editing. VERY accurate syncing. (since they leave the the song running while the kids are talking, that helps mask the bleed)

Edit: Also, why is this even an episode? Isn't the point to show people something they haven't encountered before and film their natural first impression? All of these kids have heard Adele before. And why do 4 million people think that would be compelling?

Last edited:
The "directional mic on a boom with computer in the null" is probably how they did it.

However, one thing I might try is plugging an external speaker into the computer and put it on a shelf behind the children, out of shot and turned down as low as feasible. Then go with the lavalier you mention clipped to the front of the kids' clothing.

The human body is a pretty good sound absorber so this might work, particularly if you had soft, non-reflective material behind the computer.

Back