How Soon Is Now/The Smiths

Royston

Does anyone know how Johnny Marr got that tremelo type effect on "How Soon Is Now"? It would be awesome if someone could tell me the exact effect he used on that awesome rhythm riff.

Sound like a straight, classic tube-amp, Bo Diddley tremolo (note spelling) to me. By the time HSIN was recorded, its use had become so rare that it sounded exotic.

Funny, but with all the amps in the house here, none of them has a straight tremolo circuit. There're ways to make very fancy tremolo effects with chorusing, but they don't sound the same.

Hmmm. Maybe I should make an outboard tremolo circuit...

who knew Tremolo would be saved by The Smiths?

Yeah, it sounds like a standard Fender tremolo circuit (sometimes called vibrato, but we know it's not). There are a number of effects that will get you this sound, notably:

The voodolabs pedal (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...3019052845/search/g=home/detail/base_id/42060)

the Boss TR2 (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...3019052845/search/g=home/detail/base_id/35143)

The guyatone VT-3
(http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...3019052845/search/g=home/detail/base_id/48618)

or the tube Guyatone VT-X
(http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...3019052845/search/g=home/detail/base_id/48622)

Royston,

There is a Stereo Tremelo unit out (by Dunlop I believe) that I have seen in the Music Catalogues.

I do love the sound of that song but I have never been a Smiths fan per se.

But yes the effect as on the song with the slow right and left pan
could be achieved manually on the board during the mix.

If you guys don't stop misspelling tremolo, I ain't gonna he'p you out any more.

And yes, I _am_ more depressing than Morrisey.

As a very wise man (not myself) said "It is a very closed mind that will only spell a word one way."

Eye aggre hole hartedley!

Don't let this tremellow u my bongolating friend.

No one's more depressing than Morrissey

The only person I know who could make singing "there's a place - a place in hell - reserved for me and my friends" sound 'happy'.

I always thought Morissey was so screamingly funny that he _had_ to be a put-on, a parody of teenage sissy egocentric angst, but once in a while it almost seemed he was serious.

Whatever happened to him, I wonder?

In England we call it the "Tremelo", now "Tremolo" might be an American spelling. Of course, you folks don't know how to spell colour either!

By the way, the stereo pan is very fast, can't imagine the mixing guy back in 1985 constantly moving the fader from left to right.

from The Guitar Magazine Vol 7 No 8 - Johnny Marr states:

'How Soon Is Now was the one, though. I wanted to write a track with an intro that you couldn't forget, something that you knew straight away was The Smiths. In that regard, it was very "worked on". I arrived at the studio with a demo of the whole thing, apart from the tremolo effect - though that was bound to surface on a Smiths track sooner or later, 'cos at the time I was playing Bo Diddley stuff everywhere I went. I wanted it to be really, really tense and swampy, all at the same time.

'Layering the slide part was what gave it the real tension. As soon as I played that bit on the second and third strings, John Porter put an AMS harmoniser on it. Then we recorded each individual string with the harmoniser, then we tuned the B string down a half step and harmonised the whole thing.

'The tremolo effect came from laying down a regular rhythym part (with a capo at the 2nd fret) on a Les Paul, then sending that out into the live room to four Fender Twins. John was controlling the tremolo on two of them and I was controlling the other two, and whenever they went out of sync we just had to stop the track and start all over again. It took an eternity. God bless the sampler, 'cos it would have been so much easier! But it was just one of those great moments.

'When Morrissey sang the vocal it was the first time we'd all heard
it. John Porter said, "Oh great - he's singing about the elements! I am the sun and the air..." But of course it was really, I am the son and the heir/ of a shyness that is griminally vulgar... A great track.'

Back