How Simple a Keyboard?

Ron Ramsay

I’m building up my home studio almost from scratch, and I want to choose a keyboard that will be right for me. I’ve listed various desired specs and questions below, but the biggest issue for me at the moment is:

Can I be happy with a dumb controlling device, or should I buy a keyboard with lots of sounds/features/quality?
My studio will centre on digital techniques with the PC, because I envisage this will yield maximum price/performance. *** So can a decent sound card give me everything I need (sounds/samples…)? Does it make any sense to buy a keyboard with inbuilt sounds, sequencers, etc. that duplicate what PC software and hardware can do? (I can image that such self-sufficiency would be helpful when playing live, or for portability, or freeing yourself from a blasted computer interfering with your creativity…however these things don’t seem a priority for me at this stage).

If a dumb controller is all I need, then what would be good for the following requirements:
- 61 keys is barely OK I guess, but 73 or more would be better – to play piano instruments.
- Must have a foot pedal for sustain.
- Should have a key good action. I would love hammer-weighted, but this is probably not a must for my first keyboard.
- Is “after-touch” a good thing? Would that be good to use for playing expressive instruments?
- How many wheels and other doodads would be useful?
- Is it still good for a dumb device do have knobs/buttons to get limited control without having to always touch the PC keyboard?

I haven’t seen many/any dumb devices that have all these features. It seems that anything “professional” has all the extra sound/sequencer stuff, which I don’t necessarily want to pay for. If this is true, then should I just suffer and learn some more with a “toy”? (I’ve just borrowed a friend’s Yamaha PSR-300), and then buy something really good (with all the extra unnecessary bells and whistles).
Sorry about the epic.

Any MIDI keyboard will work, but make sure it is "Touch Sensitive". Other wise all your notes will be recorded at the same volume.(127), and your music will have no dynamics!

Fatar makes some very good reasonably
priced controllers. You can always purchase a separate sound module later If you need to play "live", somewhere else.

If you don't mind the action and feel of plastic keys...Yamaha, Casio...etc all make
decent sounding keyboards with midi, Touch sensitivty, and multi-timbral capabillity. Best of all, under $300.00!

Dom Franco

Back