How should I sync all my gear up?!

Spazhands

'ere mate
Hi guys, its been a while since I've posted... just been eating up all the knowledge!

Basically I have have added a few bits to my setup recently and am not too clear on the need or the way to go about syncing the lot up.
I am multi-tracking whole bands so I am using 12+ inputs. The chain goes like this: Aardvark 8ch preamp into korg soundlink mixer which then goes via adat into my emu 1820m soundcard. The two remaining channels from the preamp are going into the emu's breakout box. Now previously I have set the emu to internal clock source and set the mixer to sync from the card through the adat. The bit I have added recently is the preamp and this has bnc, s/pdif, or midi mtc but no adat. The mixer only has adat or bnc and can't sync from s/pdif. My question.. is there really a need for the preamp to be sync'ed? There is a wordclock daughter card for the emu but I am having massive trouble finding one in the uk. All the converters etc I am using are of good quality as are the preamps, I dont want to loose any quality etc from not sync'ing them properly. Any help is appreciated, Ben.

Back