How should I setup my harddisks?

xiaoken

I have 3 ata66 harddisks. How should I set them up for maximun performance?

The programs I use are protools, sound forge and cubase.

ATA66s, eek. What is the RPM of the drives? I'm not quite sure what you are looking for in terms of setup help. What OS are you running?

Hehe, sorry. I only got ata66 drives lying around. I was thinking of getting ata100 drives, or even ata133. But thats if ata66 is the weak link.

They're 7200rpm btw. And I'm running Win98SE. One tip I read was...

"Windows should be installed on one drive, your programmes on the other and your Audio data should be streaming to or from the third. This ensures that when Windows needs to access the system folder and your program during streaming, it does so with three independent heads, eliminating glitches. "

Is this true?

I guess that makes sense. I've never tried 3 drives. I usually put the OS and programs on one and the files on the other. I guess if you put the OS and program disks on one IDE controller and the file disk on the other one it would probably work pretty well.

make sure you keep the file drive on the secondary bus and the windows and programs drives on the master. That way you can open and save at the same time. if they're on the same bus, one has to stop, put the files into cache, and then the other starts and copies them from the cache. If that makes any sense.

Back