how should a beginner start making beats

a reggae dj? they actually have those? isnt half the fun of reggae the live band/smoke weed part?

bow down to turntablism.

xfinsterx said:
id recommend getting a decent mac osx or a Pc with good ram and XP. Then going to buy reason ,a midi interface, and a midi controller.
I recommend the same. That is most of what i use but if you want to put it to rap you need a sequencing program. I use acid since i got it for free (i didn't steal it, don't want any flames). Also acid is much simpler for making the drum from sample packs than reasons drum machine in my oppinion. If you are really just starting out, have no experience at all, fruity loops might be a better option. I personally have never used it but it should be easier to use and most importantly cheaper if you are just looking to try making beats out. Although hip hop beats are not crazy complicated for the most part musically, you should learn as much as you can and get a soild background if you don't already. Take a beginners music class in highschool or college if you need to to get an idea of keys, intervals, time, etc. If you have a music backgroud, disregaurd this. Making beats will mostly just take time and effort and experimentation.

Back