How Sensitive is your Apogee Duet Instrument Inputs?

hithere1

Hey guys, wanted to compare with some other Duet users.

I have a Duet 2. My microphone inputs don't get any signal at 0DB in Maestro and have a nice gradual gain increase. They work great and can really get me through most of my needs with any mic. With dynamics I am usually running around 20-30 db when singing/guitar tracking etc.

On the other hand, my instrument inputs do get signal at 0DB in Maestro, a lot of it. Generally when strumming a Standard Fender Strat with single coil pickups I am almost halfway up the meter in Maestro. Same can be said with basses/keyboards etc. I am not talking hot EMG or Active Pickups.

When I go into my DAW this usually equates to -13DB. As I usually try to stick around -18 this is frustrating, especially because I can't turn down lower than 0DB.

Is this how anyone elses Duet works? Would really appreciate anyones experience with their personal unit.

Thanks!

I don't have one. The specs say that max input level is +20dbu for the mic and line input and +14dbu for instrument, which implies that the instrument input has 6db more gain, or probably more like 6db less attenuation before the ADC. It's actually less than a lot of others out there, which are more often in the 9-10db range. Now, when you say "-13DB", you mean dbfs, no, and is this peak or RMS/average?

Back